Author Topic: Stanley Lighthead - instrumental jazz-funk trio  (Read 336 times)

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
Re: Stanley Lighthead - instrumental jazz-funk trio
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 07:07:40 AM »
Sounds cool Harry, thanks for sharing. And yes, the EP is still a thing, because I said so!  8) My band Nomadic put out a 4 song last December, both physical and digital download. We're going to record 7 more tracks to make a full length release for 2018. Keep posting the SL stuff here, looking forward to more!

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Thanks Tom - reminded me to purchase your EP! Sounds awesome - have you advertised it here yet? Did you use your Alembic on it?

hieronymous

• club
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
And - another track is ready for preview!

https://soundcloud.com/stanleylighthead/sol-jamming-1

This one started out more straight-ahead, but for some reason we attacked it on this take and liked how it turned out. I used my HBE Hematoma bass overdrive. I'm not a jazz musician but my guitarist is, so part of the development of the band's sound is how we negotiate that tension.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
You guys sound great on YouTube, Harry... been listening up in my shop this afternoon... I'm afraid if I downloaded the SoundCloud app, my poor old Galaxy S5 would just melt on the spot.  ::)

I'll put it on at work next week though.   ;D

*by the way, "AKA AFB" is stuck in my head now!

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Thanks Tom - reminded me to purchase your EP! Sounds awesome - have you advertised it here yet? Did you use your Alembic on it?

EP went in the mail Saturday, thank you! The opening track was done on my 4003S when it had Activators on it, but I have since gone back to Ric toaster and high gain passive pickups. I decided to let the Ric be a Ric, and the Alembic be an Alembic! I plan to use the Distillate on 2 new tracks.

I love your guitar players tone and style. Hematoma is my favorite bass overdrive! Seems HBE is sadly no more.

hieronymous

• club
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
You guys sound great on YouTube, Harry... been listening up in my shop this afternoon... I'm afraid if I downloaded the SoundCloud app, my poor old Galaxy S5 would just melt on the spot.  ::)

I'll put it on at work next week though.   ;D

*by the way, "AKA AFB" is stuck in my head now!

Thanks for listening! Definitely don't blow up your phone!

EP went in the mail Saturday, thank you! The opening track was done on my 4003S when it had Activators on it, but I have since gone back to Ric toaster and high gain passive pickups. I decided to let the Ric be a Ric, and the Alembic be an Alembic! I plan to use the Distillate on 2 new tracks.

I love your guitar players tone and style. Hematoma is my favorite bass overdrive! Seems HBE is sadly no more.

Got the CD - thanks! I actually found a thread about it on progarchives.com - that place is kind of weird, people are obsessed with genre and the forum software is kind of messed up so it can be hard to post anything.

I hear you on letting a Ric be a Ric - I love the stock electronics in my 8-string, but it would be cool to have one with Activators too! Looking forward to hearing the Distillate!

I didn't realize HBE went out of business. My Hematoma is really dark but it worked for this project. I'm still searching for "my" distortion/overdrive...

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
Progarchives.com is interesting. It took several months to make it through a committee of moderators around the world before we got categorized ("heavy prog") and listed on the site, along with the review.

hieronymous

• club
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 10:22:22 AM »
Time for another Stan Lighthead track - this has become one of my favorites, this is the only time I'm playing clean with fingers, plus used the low B a lot during the guitar solo. My strings were really dirty and dead, but I like the sound on here - bass was recorded direct, with my always-on CAE tube compressor & Boss PQ-3B parametric eq boosting the low end:

https://soundcloud.com/stanleylighthead/at-the-temple

And special just for the Club - video of the same song from the day before at Bill TGO's Labor Day party!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=spXJMgPHZ7w