Author Topic: '83 Series II Graphite neck  (Read 2709 times)

musashi

• club
  • Advanced Member
'83 Series II Graphite neck
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the pickups?

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
Yeah, I get no noise at all in my area out of the old series instruments!

Enzo

• club
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
Apparently, instruments made before a certain year ('99-'00, if I recall) had pickups that COULD become noisy because of the way they were made. With the extra waves of today's technology, it's something that might happen. So it's been described to me, you might want to ask details to the electronic savvy on this forum.  
So basically there's a ground hum that increases depending on the position the bass is.

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that since there is some physical distance between the pickups and the hum-canceling coil - as in, they are not stacked like a traditional humbucker -  they hear electromagnetic interference at a slightly different time...  Cancellation may not be 100% because the signal from the pickup and the signal from the hum-canceller may already be slightly out of phase.

The upgrade Ron has come up with in recent years is a way to fine tune the circuit so that it more effectively rejects EMI.

The thing is ... it is instrument specific!  He literally has to hand tune the circuit for each instrument.  Because the individual pickups, hum coils, preamp components, and even the mass of the brass plates and bridge block ALL effect this noise rejection system.  

And because all the above factors effect the circuit's efficiency, there are likely some older instruments that are already quieter than others.  I've had all my main instruments done simply because there have been times on each where I've run into difficulties.  I believe they're much quieter now and I rarely have any noise issues.  But others may have never had any difficulty and it could be that all the planets aligned for their instrument and they're already as quiet as they can be.  

So certainly as Enzo rejuvenates this axe he could wait to see if there is any noise rejection issue before jumping on the mod bandwagon.  Please ignore my #2 suggestion above and lower my comment's value to only 1 cent!

Jimmy J

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
Any comments coming from Jimmy J are always worth their weight in gold. It is so nice to have such great wisdom available to the members of this forum!

Enzo

• club
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
INDEED. Thank you Jimmy!!!

Enzo

• club
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 10:55:08 PM »
UPDATE. Almost exactly one year later, the SII finally landed in Santa Rosa where it will be checked out and evaluated. Regarding the electronic noise, after talking to Mica over the phone, a few months back, I explained how the neck pickup was missing 2 screws and that it was laid almost all the way down. Mica suggested that that could have been the reason why it was producing the hum and graciously sent me a few replacement screws (along with a lovely big sticker) for me to raise the pickup to a reasonable height. Well, the hum decreased quite a bit bringing it to a more acceptable level, similar to a typical single coil in a Jazz Bass and always changing based on the direction of the bass. Hopefully this can be fixed without having to replace anything but the last word will be up to Mr Ron.
Regarding the rest, refin or not refin, the jury is still out. The Omega cut and the 2 'nice' dings on the back of the neck need to be addressed for sure, then we'll see what else...

Enzo

• club
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
Work in progress  The Omega is perfect now.  

Enzo

• club
Re: '83 Series II Graphite neck
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 08:48:21 AM »
Last picture disappeared in the forum transition, let's try again.

Enzo

• club
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
...more.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »
Nice looking bass!

Stefano

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »
Once finished this will be a stunner!!

Enzo

• club
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
Ciao Stefano, I agree!
I just hope I can afford to keep it, looks like my expenses will go up quite a bit this coming year due to skyrocketing health insurance premium :(

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »
Nosey (possibly silly) question here... does the graphite neck require any special preparation for finish to adhere to it?

Maybe a better question would be, does it even need to be finished at all?

I love these little sneak-peeks into that particular room... ;D

dannobasso

• club
    • BLAK29
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »
Hey Enzo, I sincerely hope that all works out and you will be able to keep and enjoy your axe for years to come. Insurance is costly but it came in handy for my quad bypass this Aug. I hope you never need to use it and it will all work out. If you have any Stati 5's w/leds you need to unload, LMK.

Cheers, Danno