Author Topic: Jimmy "Flim" Johnson  (Read 43851 times)

David Houck

• Global Moderator
Re: Jimmy
« Reply #1350 on: May 05, 2019, 07:35:16 AM »
... one time when he was in LA I drove him to a Whole Foods so he could stock up for his stay.  While we were checking out the person running the register said "Aren't you ...... Jimmy Johnson?"  That's a highly unusual experience for me, but it did get a smile out of JT as he continued to bag his own groceries.

Hah!  Love it!

jacko

• club
Re: Jimmy \
« Reply #1351 on: May 05, 2019, 05:47:39 PM »
on the other hand, You can walk out to the front of the stage at a JT gig in Glasgow to have a chat with Sandra and I and no-one else in the audience notices  :D   Last time, halfway through the JT set, a guy sitting next to us said' isn't the bass player that chap that was out talking to you earlier?' .   ;D

Graeme. 

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1352 on: May 05, 2019, 11:44:08 PM »
Exactly!  And that's the way I like it - low profile.  Or perhaps no profile.   :D  Even my name is generic.  You probably all know other Jim Johnsons.  For a while if you did a google search for [ "Jimmy Johnson" +bass ] you found an award winning bass fisherman.  HA!

Jimmy J (the one you guys know)

eddievig

• club
« Reply #1353 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:13 AM »
Seen in a co-worker's office...I'm willing to bet someone's tried to put a 48 sticker on your car at least once or twice for laughs.

jacko

• club
« Reply #1354 on: May 24, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »
I see the Gadd band will be announcing some European dates soon. Let's hope there's something less than a day's drive from Scotland.

Graeme

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2019, 02:33:15 PM »
Hey Graham,

Well, the closest we plan to get is Ronnie's in London again, the week of June 22nd.  Furthermore, Landau can't make this trip so we have David Spinozza playing guitar.  He's a NY cat, longtime pal of Gadds with a coincidental connection to JT.  I've never played with him and I expect it to be pretty different without Mike, but I know we're gonna have some fun...

Jimmy J

jacko

• club
« Reply #1356 on: May 24, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
Hope you have a great tour Jimmy. As it happens I'll be on holiday somewhere in Yorkshire that week anyway so wouldn't have made it. Maybe next time - there's quite a few Jazz venues in Edinburgh.

Graeme

lembic76450

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #1357 on: June 13, 2019, 03:12:18 PM »
Jimmy,  I will be headed up to Scullers in Boston  on the 29th.  I was hoping for a chance to say hello
if it were to work out.   I will be joined by a couple of drummers that I work with
and I believe the we have a table in front of the stage.  My regular drummer Joe
has become a huge Alembic fan and is looking forward to hearing yours, and is a huge
Steve Gadd fan, of course.

Thanks,  Kenn  R.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:14:59 PM by lembic76450 »

eddievig

• club
« Reply #1358 on: June 13, 2019, 04:00:24 PM »
Jimmy,
The fam and I just got back from a trip across the pond, and got to see Jimmy Haslip in a Q&A before a gig in Amsterdam. I asked about his time playing with Allan Holdworth, and his approach to the music.
His response was that he studied your approach, and was very thankful for the "crib note" charts that you gave him. The audience was a fan of yours as well!

Best,
Ed V

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1359 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:57 PM »
Hey Kenn,
That's cool that you'll be there!  We're looking forward to doing a few east coast gigs with the band, should be fun.  I can't remember the layout at Sculler's but I'll do my best to find you and say howdy.

Ed V.  That's a long way to go to see Jimmy H.  :)  He's such a great cat.  A super-nice guy and an unusual player.  I'm surprised he had any use for my nasty scribbles but if they helped him navigate Allan's song forms then that's a great story.

Thanks,
Jimmy J

mb94952

• club
  • "I wish I played like Jimmy Johnson ..."
    • reverbnation.com/michaelbalazki
« Reply #1360 on: June 14, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »
To the "other people" Jimmy Johnson is a race car driver. In my head I always say that's not the real Jimmy Johnson. There's only ONE Jimmy Johnson and he likes to be under the radar. :)
The Whole Foods story is awesome ! I had a feeling you shopped there, even though you were with JT who was shopping there.
Also, the Jimmy Haslip story is great. I can only imagine the notes you gave him for Allan's music. I bet it looked like something from NASA to us ear players.
My Alembic is a 1992 Europa 4

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #1361 on: June 14, 2019, 05:38:08 PM »
I’m going to the 6/29 show too, looking forward to it!  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:45:31 PM by rv_bass »

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1362 on: June 15, 2019, 12:14:04 AM »
Alright!  A mini Alembic-Club meeting!  I'll look for you guys.

Cheers,
Jimmy J

keith_h

• club
« Reply #1363 on: June 15, 2019, 05:19:04 AM »
To the "other people" Jimmy Johnson is a race car driver.

- snip -

That's certainly the case living here in NC.