Author Topic: Jimmy "Flim" Johnson  (Read 42846 times)

mb94952

• club
  • "I wish I played like Jimmy Johnson ..."
    • reverbnation.com/michaelbalazki
Re: Jimmy
« Reply #1335 on: April 13, 2019, 12:06:40 AM »
Hi Jimmy !!
I am a HUGE Allan Holdsworth fan. I've been hooked since the first time I saw him in 1989 at New George's in San Rafael, CA. Chad was playing drums and YOU were playing bass. I had never heard anything like it, but I was already into Stanley Clarke, RTF, etc. I remember you did a solo and Neil Schon was blown away (but of course he was !). The next day on my lunch break I went to the local record store and bought every cassette I could find by Allan. Since then to this day, I always have at least one Allan Holdsworth CD in my CD changer in the car. Yes, I still like CD's. I don't know how to download music and I like owning a hard copy. I think those guys are lucky to play with you ! Thanks for the advice you gave me here to follow my heart and my ear when I asked about lessons. That is GREAT advice !
Thanks Jimmy J ! - Michael :)
My Alembic is a 1992 Europa 4

mb94952

• club
  • "I wish I played like Jimmy Johnson ..."
    • reverbnation.com/michaelbalazki
« Reply #1336 on: April 13, 2019, 12:08:33 AM »
Hi Jimmy !!
I am a HUGE Allan Holdsworth fan. I've been hooked since the first time I saw him in 1989 at New George's in San Rafael, CA. Chad was playing drums and YOU were playing bass. I had never heard anything like it, but I was already into Stanley Clarke, RTF, etc. so it was a smooth transition. I remember you did a solo and Neil Schon was blown away (but of course he was !). The next day on my lunch break I went to the local record store and bought every cassette I could find by Allan. Since then to this day, I always have at least one Allan Holdsworth CD in my CD changer in the car. Yes, I still like CD's. I don't know how to download music and I like owning a hard copy. I think those guys are lucky to play with you ! Thanks for the advice you gave me here to follow my heart and my ear when I asked about lessons. That is GREAT advice !
Thanks Jimmy J ! - Michael :)
My Alembic is a 1992 Europa 4

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
Michael,

(Words so nice he posted them twice?  Ha!)

Thanks again, that's a great story.  As I said, Allan's music was not everybody's cup of tea.  There were often some very confused looks in the audience as they tried to figure out what the heck they were hearing. 

But despite the struggle involved in presenting this unusual music (Chad and I trading off as tour managers / van drivers, chasing down the club owners to get paid, running up our own credit cards, etc...), the greatest thing about it was that at every gig there would be at least one or two people like yourself who were hearing it for the first time - and it connected.  Sometimes profoundly!  At the end of every gig somebody would come up and say "OMG you guys!!"  That made it all worthwhile.  Even while making the 8 hour drive to the next club we would have this feeling that "tonight somebody was going to hear something they've never heard before".  We were all proud to have been a part of that!!

Cheers,
Jimmy J

David Houck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
... "tonight somebody was going to hear something they've never heard before" ...

:)