Author Topic: Jimmy "Flim" Johnson  (Read 41680 times)

fmm

• club
  • Advanced Member
  • Life is too short to drink bad Scotch
    • Working Class Bass
Re: Jimmy
« Reply #1320 on: February 13, 2019, 06:07:55 AM »
Congratulations!
fmm

eddievig

• club
Re: Jimmy \
« Reply #1321 on: February 13, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Jimmy,
It was great to see you Monday in BR; thanks for finding the time to visit with me and the girls.
 I loved the subtle differences in this version of the band, and especially loved Chad's approach to the catalog. From Bonnie's first note to James' last, just a stellar show... almost too much talent in one room for mere mortals to handle ;D
All the best,
Ed Vigueira

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1322 on: February 13, 2019, 08:25:36 AM »

Thanks everybody for the congrats.  Once again I was in the right place at the right time.  I've had some very good luck in my career!

Ed V, thanks for making the scene again, glad you and the gals enjoyed it.  Bonnie and her band are such a groove!  And I agree that Chad's doing a great job, he's a pro and knows how to support the music.  As you could see we're all still having fun playing it.

Take it easy now,
Jimmy J

goran

• bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #1323 on: February 20, 2019, 05:50:55 AM »
Hey Jimmy,
I was just listening to Dewa Budjana album "Surya Namaska"... man there is some killing playing on it, real fusion album!
alembics.... ahhhh

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1324 on: February 20, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Hey Goran,

Thanks, yeah, lots of musical craziness on that rather obscure album.  Amazing playing by Vinnie!  Plus Landau on one track and even Husband playing a synth solo on another.  Dewa plays guitar in a famous pop band in Indonesia but his "hobby" is clearly jazz and fusion.  He's a nice soft-spoken fella so this must be his alter ego.  Ha!

Jimmy J

keith_h

• club
« Reply #1325 on: February 20, 2019, 03:06:12 PM »
After seeing this I listened to some of Dewa Budjana's Surya Namaska. It is good stuff. I also found some live footage of Dewa in Indonesia on Youtube and noticed the young guy on bass played an Alembic Epic six string.

eddievig

• club
« Reply #1326 on: March 01, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
Jimmy,
I just heard the sad news that Paul Williams from I.O.U. passed away today at 78. Oddly enough, I've had the "new" I.O.U. Live In Tokyo on repeat for the last few weeks, enjoying the live versions of all that classic AH material. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'll raise a glass in his honor tonight while listening.
Best,
Ed V

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1327 on: March 01, 2019, 02:09:55 PM »
Thanks for letting me know Ed, I'm sorry to hear we've lost Paul.  If you ever try to sing one of Allan's melodies you'll see how difficult it can be to get the intervals right, not to mention finding the starting note.  Paul made all that seam easy.

Jimmy J

mb94952

• club
  • "I wish I played like Jimmy Johnson ..."
    • reverbnation.com/michaelbalazki
« Reply #1328 on: March 13, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
I just ordered Surya Namaska on CD thanks to this post ! Anything with Jimmy and Vinnie is GOING to be GREAT !! Thanks Alembic Club !!
- Mike
My Alembic is a 1992 Europa 4

goran

• bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #1329 on: March 14, 2019, 04:29:55 AM »
Yea Mike, you'll love it...
alembics.... ahhhh

mb94952

• club
  • "I wish I played like Jimmy Johnson ..."
    • reverbnation.com/michaelbalazki
« Reply #1330 on: March 15, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
 8) 8) 8) Thanks Goran and thanks Jimmy Johnson !! ( and Vinnie C. !! )
I can't wait ! It's already been shipped. Arrival is next week or so. ;) :D ;D
My Alembic is a 1992 Europa 4