Author Topic: Jimmy "Flim" Johnson  (Read 23414 times)

keith_h

• club
Re: Jimmy \
« Reply #1185 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »
Well Mr. Band Leader you seemed to have done a good job with JT. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks that will be happy to help you out. So sit back and enjoy the ride.

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: Jimmy
« Reply #1186 on: September 16, 2017, 03:19:04 PM »
(...and STOP practicing so much!!)(Just kidding...)

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1187 on: September 16, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
For the record, despite the way he likes to introduce me, James is his own band leader & musical director.  I think of myself as the band librarian.  But happy to be involved on any level!

Jimmy J

David Houck

• club
« Reply #1188 on: September 17, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »

:)

eddievig

• club
« Reply #1189 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:35 AM »
Jimmy,

The folks at No Treble gave you a nice mention on their Facebook page yesterday, including a transcription of your part on Allan Holdsworth's "Spokes". Marcelo Cordova was the bassist/transcriptionist.

Wish we could get the team out to LA for the big award night, but we'll be there in spirit, foam fingers a'wavin!

Best,

Ed V

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1190 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »
Hey thanks Ed. 

Man, that guy has some serious transcribing chops.  That must have taken a minute.  Also one of the busiest bass tracks I've ever played.  Sometimes Vinnie has that effect on me.   :D   Although I can barely read through it (and not at speed) it looks pretty accurate ... except maybe the moment below.  It could have happened but I probably would have punched that in.

You talking about those foam middle fingers?  Ha!

Thanks,
Jimmy J

ryan_p

• club
« Reply #1191 on: November 14, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

rustyg61

• club
« Reply #1192 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:35 PM »
Hey Jimmy, how did the Bass Player Live event go?
Rusty
2011 SCSD
2014 "Blue Orca" Series II Europa

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1193 on: November 21, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »
Hey Rusty,

Yeah, the thing went well, thanks for asking.  They actually gave me the plaque before they figured out their mistake (ha!), I didn't choke too badly trying to speak on the mic, AND I roped Landau, Wackerman and Babko into playing some tunes with me.  We even got our pal Dave Morgan to mix FOH.  The music part was a lot of fun! 

It was also great to hang a bit with Sklar and Bob Glaub, a couple of my favorite bass players and super-nice guys.

I'll try not to let the award go to my head, I promise.

Cheers,
Jimmy J

rustyg61

• club
« Reply #1194 on: November 21, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »
Hey Jimmy,

Glad it went well! I would have loved to have been there! You & I are a lot alike in that we like to remain anonymously in the background & let our instrument do the talking for us, so I can totally relate to the fear of speaking on the mic! I would turn into a puddle of goo if I had to talk in front of a crowd! It sounds like you had a killer band! You should see if the Baked Potato has any openings so y'all could play & get a little more mileage out of the tunes you worked up!

I don't think they made a mistake at all! You are one of the unsung heroes in the music world & well deserving of this award! You are an inspiration to countless bass players & with so many musicians driven by their overblown egos, your humbleness is a breath of fresh air!

I know you don't like to toot your own horn, but I would love to see a picture of your plaque if you want to post one! :-)
Rusty
2011 SCSD

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #1195 on: November 21, 2017, 11:32:27 PM »
Aww, thanks for the kind words Rusty.  I'm turning red...

I agree; in the background is where it's at.  And with that in mind I have no interest in booking a night at the Spud as a band leader.  No thanks.  But if Landau called Chad, Jeff and I to play, we'd all be there in a minute.  It's all part of the extended Baked Potato band of characters and I love playing with all these guys in any musical situation. 

Thanks again,
Jimmy J

rustyg61

• club
« Reply #1196 on: November 22, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
One night I'm going to catch you at the Spud! It's on my bucket list! LOL! I go to visit my son in Culver City 3 or 4 times a year so surely our paths will cross eventually! I get emails with their schedule every month & always check to see if you are playing. I would have planned to come see you get your award, but my son has been on vacation in New Zealand the last 3 weeks so I had no place to stay if I came out.
Rusty
2011 SCSD

jacko

• club
« Reply #1197 on: November 22, 2017, 01:54:51 AM »
It's a great night out Rusty. Very relaxed atmosphere with some fantastic music. Plus you get a chance to chat with some of the best musicians in the world as they pack up (no roadies here  ;D )

Graeme

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #1198 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
Adding to Rusty's comments Jimmy J... we all know you're way too nice a guy to be that great of a player, but now that the word is spreading, you better get used to the publicity.  ;D 

Enjoy that award man... you most definitely deserve it. And isn't it great to do what you love, with people you like? That's the real prize there.   :)

Happy Thanksgiving, and Safe Travels!

eddievig

• club
« Reply #1199 on: November 22, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »
Jimmy,

We thoroughly enjoyed the video (via Facebook). You guys sounded great, no surprises there!

Congrats again, and so well deserved.

Ed V