Author Topic: Marc's "Simple" Bass  (Read 4709 times)

marcm

• club
Re: Marc's "Simple" Bass
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004, 07:53:36 AM »
now that mica and i have locked up the specification, here's a list of the features

custom 4-string
32-scale
mahogany neck
ebony neck laminates, center laminate thicker
blue side LEDs with toggle switch
mahogany body, 3/4-roundover, tummy contour
three-piece ebony top with mahogany pinstripes at joints, 1/4-roundover
mike's 'suspension-bridge' top contour, small scallop contour above each control knob
EvH baby-bass shape, scaled to small-standard size
fatboy pickups, no script
20th anniversary electronics with master volume, 3-position Q switches, sidemounted jack
'linear' control layout, with p/u selector on lower horn
knobs by roger @ thg
2R continuous-wood truss rod cover, pickup to touch
black recessed straplocks
black hipshot ultralite HB6Y tuners
blackened brass hardware, black screws where possible
blackened logo, no script
heavy bridge block
'big bird' tailpiece, recessed into body
concealed-hardware curved-rail bridge
continuous-wood backplates, nearest-neighbor
crown peghead, ebony veneers
ebony fingerboard, 1.75 x 2.25, low-profile mandolin frets
OM inlay at 12th fret, black tahitian m.o.p., blue LED for dot at top
tai-ji inlay, black & white m.o.p., on pickup-selector backplate
string with thomastik jf324  43-56-70-100
hardshell case

i guess it turned out to be a 'not-so-simple' bass, as paul suggested a while back

but it is all that my fancy paints as fair

marc

(Message edited by marcm on April 18, 2004)

palembic

• club
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2004, 09:32:22 AM »
Ommygood!
I'm falling in love ...again.
Why am I torturing myself so much by visiting this club. Now I'm already blast away BEFORE the thing is even made.
***sigh***  

PTBO

marcm

• club
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2004, 01:12:38 PM »
hi mica

here's a blatant example of idea theft:  inspired by the supercool omega cut on valentino's peghead, i wonder if it would be possible for my peghead to have a mini-baby's-butt carving at the top?  do you think that it would look good, or is this an idea that should be forgotten?

also, please let me know if you got my voicemail about the roger and the knobs

best regards

marc

mica

• alembic
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2004, 01:33:30 PM »
Hi Marc,

I can save the wood for Roger, but since we're using black Ebony, I'm not sure it's critical to get a match.  

Mike's still hammering out the controls. First hurdle was the special stereo jack, but we've got that licked. I think I'll be posting a layout a little later on today.  

I'm not excited about the peghead change, but I'll rough something out and see if it's my prejudice about the Crown peghead shape being perfect on this bass.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2004, 06:01:46 PM »
Got some progress on these controls. What a beast! Here's the general idea, reinforcing the linear aspects of the design:

My dad suggested placing them close enough to the "rails" that we'd carve a small scallop around each knob, nothing super obvious, but one of those things you notice later and say, "whoa!" The only problem so far, is I'm finding it difficult to put the master volume anywhere.  Some ideas for the functions:

This one puts the volume controls in one group and the filter controls in another.  

Here we've grouped the functions by pickup. I'm not sure which way will make more sense to you, so you'll have to tell me.  

One idea for the master volume on the lower horn, and moving the pickup selector to the other side of the rail.   Don't worry about the backplate, that will be adjusted. If you like the pickup selector or master volume on the lower horn we'd add a small circular backplate for the access to it. I was thinking about putting the original inlay on the switch backplate. A white and black mother of pearl yin yang just for you on the back.    We're waiting for the sample of the long frame jack in stereo version. The jack in your bass will actually be a bit larger.

marcm

• club
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2004, 06:28:28 PM »
hi mica

i'm leaning toward style 2, the functional grouping, with the pickup selector on the lower horn as they used to be on very old series basses.  i'd strongly prefer for there to be no controls above the pinstripe

four comments

first, as you suggested, the new knobs from roger will be small cylinders instead of hats; the pickup selector will, of course, still be a teardrop.  i've asked roger to scale all the knobs down in size by about 10% or so compared to the knobs on randy's cocobolo custom.  perhaps they'll be small enough that a staggered configuration will be possible

second, we had discussed a side-LED on/off toggle.  will it be possible to fit that in as well?

third, i love ron's idea of a small scallop above each knob.  it's a detail that would bring a smile to my face for many years to come, so let's definitely do it!

finally, if the new smaller knobs don't make a different layout possible, could the master volume be placed down on the hip, centered below the bridge-Q and stereo/mono toggles?

thanks for this beautiful work

best regards

marc

marcm

• club
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2004, 06:35:58 PM »
p.s.

i love the idea of putting the tai-ji on the switch plate!  thank you!  let's do it!

marc

marcm

• club
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2004, 06:47:37 PM »
p.p.s.

forget about my idea for a baby's-butt peghead; your comment said it all

let's have a beautiful crown as we originally planned

thanks for being the voice of sanity

marc

mica

• alembic
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2004, 07:14:29 PM »
Yay! Glad you like the secretive back inlay. I love little inlays on the back of instruments. Don't know why.  

I think in this case we'll need to get the knobs here to allow for the exact layout and scallop pattern. I will contact Roger next week and see what materials he'll need from us and also get the dimensions of the knobs so I can finish up the layout right away. The smaller knobs really make sense on this one.  

Was I really that bad about the peghead? I still may sketch it out, and if it's cool, I'll even share!

Have a great weekend!

marcm

• club
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2004, 08:10:10 PM »
mica, i have a special request.  when mike takes the nearest-neighbor slice for the big back plate, could you please ask him to take a second-nearest-neighbor cut as well?  here's why

i have a new friend who makes beautiful jewelry in silver and gold, based on the archimedes spiral.  if things work out in the longer run, i'd like to send the second-nearest-neighbor back to you with one of her pieces, and ask you to inlay it for me.  would that be possible?  please let me know

as far as the peghead is concerned, i had a brain spasm and lost it for a moment; your perception was clear and correct.  i love the crown; please forget i ever mentioned the mini-baby's-butt

have a great weekend!

marc

mica

• alembic
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2004, 08:33:46 PM »
Roger and I are talking back and forth on those knobs. I'll be incommunicado tomorrow, icky tax filing stuff day! Hope by Monday I'll have everything square with him and get your body assembly on Mike's list for next week.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2004, 12:42:41 PM »
Here's the first stage of body assembly:

Lookin' good! We've settled on a knob diameter of .85-.90. I'll get you a shot of the final control layout soon.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2004, 06:56:19 PM »
Top in place, with the outside cuts done:

Caught Mike mid-carve with the "sea of black" I told you about:

After the rough carving:

The fingerboard is now in place, and the bass is ready for routing, should be on Thursday. That little gap between the truss rod cover and the cavity is where one of your pickups will be. Mike arranged it so that when Bob routs it, the truss rod cover and the cavity will be trimmed at the same time. Pretty slick, huh?

marcm

• club
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2004, 06:41:25 AM »
hi mica

what can i say?  you and i and mike imagined it, and mike is making it real  

i love it.  thank you, and thank mike too

marc

marcm

• club
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »
hey mica!

it looks like there's a routed channel down the centerline.  what's it  for?

marc