Author Topic: Resurrecting Michael's Hurricane Damaged Series I  (Read 3579 times)

• club
Re: Resurrecting Michael's Hurricane Damaged Series I
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 01:58:01 PM »
He's strapped to the front of a boat somewhere..  ;)

osoloco69

• club
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
My friend had to repair Lucille for BB a few years back. In a storm she got at the bottom of a trailor that was flipped over and filled with water. Bad bad condition. She was fixed and is in playing order. Just thought yall would like the story, cause it seemed pertinant.

mpisanek

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 01:28:02 AM »
I think this will turn out to become one of those urban legends!  A bass spends weeks underwater, comes out, is plugged in, and really works!  Only an Alembic!  

I would try to leave the bass as original as possible.  Keep the scars.  

The only thing I might add is that you should definitely take the advice of the people in the know here.  I believe that with a combination of your personal ideas, and the expertise that Alembic has, that you will have an instrument that is amazing!  Different from the original in some respects, but amazing, none the less!

serialnumber12

• club
  • 1972#12
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 03:30:39 AM »
I cant wait to see the final product on this one the finish reminds me of my finish being that it has worn off over the years.
keavin barnes @ facebook.com

bigbadbill

• club
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 02:30:17 PM »
Paul TBO, underneath that alias I suspect you may actually be more good than the rest of us combined...

palembic

• club
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 03:18:13 PM »
Nono ...i am bad ...really bad ...bad bad bad bad bad bad ...oh am I bad

P

bob

• club
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 09:34:13 PM »
No he's not, he just likes to say that.

bigbass

• club
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 11:52:13 AM »
I guess that settles that....

bsee

• club
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 01:37:03 PM »
Bah - I came here looking for an update and all I get is off topic drivel!!!  

Seriously, though, any progress on this one yet?  I think this may be the most intriguing construction job in the works.  

-Bob

mica

• alembic
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »
This is on hold a for little while I do some more research about wood conservation and restoration. I've got a couple of books to sift through first, then we'll have enough information to decide how to proceed.

j_gary

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »
Hi Mica, I've got an idea, so run!

How about an Alembic Relic series? This Hurricane Alembic could be the model for a new line of basses. It appears this same crazy idea is working elseware in the bass world. Mike would have an instant collectors item, if indeed he does not already.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.  

Mike, a darn shame what happened to the old girl as she was a beauty. Now she is a living legend, good luck!

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
As a person who really appreciates a well-made bass, nothing makes me more crazy than the whole Relic concept.  Why in the world would someone take a nice new bass and beat the hell out of it?  Even weirder to me is the idea that someone would actually pay more for a bass that has been abused at the factory!

On the other hand, the whole concept behind the restoration of Michael's bass is so cool I can't even talk about it!  What a wonderful vibe and story that bass will have when it's done.  Tiumph of the human spirit, and all of that...

dela217

• club
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »
Steve - That is EXACTLY how I feel.  Even more so than musical instruments, I don't care for distressed furniture.  Antiques that have not been refinished are one thing, but to take a new piece and make it look old is beyond me.  

Michael

jack

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2006, 04:33:19 PM »
The best is when they do it with blue jeans and charge 80 bucks a pair.  All the rage here in NYC.

I really hope this bass pulls through.

-Jack

jacko

• club
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 03:01:38 PM »
I've just been watching a BBC programme about hermann Leonard and his attempts to rebuild his collection of 10,000 or so prints of Jazz musicians. Aside from Leonards obvious losses, the programme spent alot of time dwelling on the after effects of katrina and how, even now nothing is being done by the government. I was especially moved by the plight of residents of the lower 9th district Which appears to have been the worst hit. Outside of the states, we've pretty much forgotten about the problems in New Orleans. For instance, we're not told that that the national guard have had to be brought back to control the escalating violence.
I found it amazing that the residents of New Orleans felt it absolutely neccessary to go ahead with mardi Gras this year despite the obvious difficulties.  This programme has highlighted the problems in New orleans to me more than any news item.  
Which, in a roundabout kind of way, brings me to wonder what has happened to Micheal's series 1?

Graeme