Author Topic: Austin's 6-string Custom  (Read 2472 times)

mica

• alembic
Re: Austin's 6-string Custom
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »
Since it's very finely striped, there is lots of dark. Here's the first slice with some solvent to get a preview:

See how much darker with the acetone? Want me to check if the black Gabon Ebony we have is wide enough for your bass? I think it might be too narrow, but it doesn't get much darker than Gabon.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
A little closer up, you can see how tightly packed the stripes are. This is just fresh off the bandsaw, so there are some tool marks.  

darkstar01

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
I like these a lot. i'd be interested to see the gabon if it's wide enough. but otherwise this looks great.  
thanks again, mica.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
Glad you like these, it's an ooooold piece that I was able to convince the supplier to get from his personal stash. We'll slice your top and back laminates from this board. I just saw the order shows 1/8 laminates for the top and back instead of 1/4. We'll also make the peghead veneers from this same wood wince there's nothing that matches it in the commercial veneer. It's some sweet stuff.  

The Gabon isn't wide enough for bookmatch to center. But it is the blackest piece of wood this wide I've ever seen:

Just. Pure. Black. There's only 2 laminates of this stuff left.

Bradley Young

• club
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

darkstar01

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
that gabon is awesome. too bad it's not wide enough.. somebody needs to get something built from that, though. i'd love to see it.

darkstar01

Hardware
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 03:37:05 AM »
Hey Mica,  
i was going to send you an email about this, but i recently changed my email address so i was afraid you might miss it. i can't seem to find the quote on my bass for whatever reason, but i seem to remember telling you i wanted chrome plated hardware. i definitely want to change it to all black hardware. let me know if there's a price difference or anything.
thanks!

mica

• alembic
Hardware
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »
Black will be the way to go on this one!

mica

• alembic
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
Stay out sick for a few weeks, and suddenly, basses happen!  

tbrannon

• club
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
Oh wow..... I love it.  

Ash body?  Really slick neck recipe and I love the top and the wider, shallower omega. Can't wait to see it when the finish hits.  

(Message edited by tbrannon on April 03, 2012)

darkstar01

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
that is what i'm talking about. Awesome.  
Thanks for the update, mica!!

jacko

• club
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:02 AM »
Wow! that neck recipe looks fantastic! What are the 'lighter' dark woods?

Graeme

darkstar01

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »
other than the ebony lam in the center, the neck is all mahogany, maple, and cherry.

crobbins

• club
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
That bass is looking nice.

mica

• alembic
Control layout
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
We had a control layout already, but the time has come to drill, so I'm reviewing what we had before.   We're making a guitar now with a single scrolling switch for the synth. This is cool because you have 1 less switch on the face. The synth switch might have to be a silver finish (dad is checking for a black finish one) but that's the only negative, unless you like the idea of it looking different from the other controls.   Anyway, here's my most recent plan:

Oh yeah, this one has the LED switch which I always seem to forget on Series I/II custom layouts, like on the previous one I sent you.   Without the labels for contemplation: