Author Topic: Brian's Custom BOP Bass  (Read 3159 times)

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
Re: Brian's Custom BOP Bass
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
Thanks John!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
I've really enjoyed watching your thread Brian, many Congratulations. That birdseye maple is making me twitchy to see what mine will look like!

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
Thanks Gregory! I am loving the birdseye. I must say it is deceiving in the photos. As we know with their astonishingly beautiful coats of glossy protective goodness over amazing selections of wood, what's not to like. Its true as Mica and Will mentioned, it really needs to be viewed in the flesh. Especially to admire the holographic effect it produces when you tilt the instrument under different lighting conditions. So cool, and a nice surprise to me as I would have guessed that effect typically occurs on quilted maple, not birdseye so much. You are going to be thrilled. Can't wait to see photos of your build as well.

jacko

• club
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Congratulations Brian. Needless to say I am as jealous as hell. That truly is an astonishing instrument.  

Graeme

serialnumber12

• club
  • 1972#12
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2015, 05:39:27 AM »
fresh outta the shower & ready to shake some booty!

[edited - just keepin' it clean]

(Message edited by adriaan on August 14, 2015)
keavin barnes @ facebook.com

ed_zeppelin

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
Would you mind explaining the electronics? I have a series 1 so I know the bas(s)ics  but I just wondered what all those knobs and switches do.

Also, I hope you don't mind a suggestion: dab a little 91% isopropyl alcohol on a cloth and GENTLY wipe your fingerprints off any metal (visible on your tuners in the shot of the Alembic logo) without touching the wood, and apply a protectant.  

http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/alsuppolforg.html

You'd be amazed how quickly metal becomes etched  - permanently - by contact with fingers (or whatever other body parts you apply to your bass, you dawg)  

Alembic polish is a screaming deal, too (I just screamed, to prove it).

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Thanks Graeme!  Not sure if you should be as jealous as you may feel as I sold two 4 strings to fund this, one was an FC.  Painful but worth it.  

Barnes, yes indeed .

ed_zepplin, thanks for the tip. I will certainly try to do that if I can remember each time, unfortunately this bass is going to get played a lot. Regarding the Series 2 electronics, that's what they are however I have a 1/4 mono/stereo jack as a backup which runs off of batteries in case I am without the DS5 power supply.  There is also an LED on/off switch and a pair of bass & treble (boost/cut/flat) switches for the neck p/u as well as another pair for the bridge p/u.  To top it off I have a pickup selector switch added as well.  

I do have a tube of Alembic Flitz and a spray bottle of Alembic Polish screaming at me to use it too    who has the time for that, lol.

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Any idea what this 'Switch Cluster Bypass' is used for? Let's see who can answer or guess correctly before Mica and/or Ron beat us to it. I am not sure so I can only guess.

FC Bass

• club
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
My bet is you can replace it with the connector coming from your switch cluster and you will have pure Series II electronics?

Extremely awesome bass, congrats!
Damaged Justice, Dutch 'tallica tribute: Website, Facebook, Youtube

'79 Series I
'83 Spoiler
'88 Spoiler
'99 Orion 5 fretless
'10 Elan 5