Author Topic: LIve Fire Exercise  (Read 3025 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
I printed both out and pinned them up in my shop where I'll be for most of the weekend. First impressions favor the Orion 3+2, which is also nice in reverse. That said, the symmetrical simplicity of the Spoiler Cone is hard to turn away from.    

Small disclosure: John McVie & Jimmy Johnson are two of my heroes and influences, so it's not entirely coincidental I chose the Standard Omega body, and fretless neck. The idea of course, wasn't as much to make a copy, but a respectful hat-tip to the inspirations, while being 100% my signature bass, both aesthetically and electronically.  

*I should also acknowledge, Joey's Big Red Spoiler and Rusty's Blue Orca Series II Europa had a lot to do with me coming to the conclusion that if at all possible, I should build *exactly* what I want. Those two basses are sort of at opposite ends of the Alembic spectrum, but no less than perfect for those guys, and no less amazing in fit and finish.

hammer

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »
Love the body shape and the Orion headstock. I don't know if your'e one of larger brutes that plays an Alembic but being on the small size myself at Mica's suggestion I had a 3/4 body done up for my 32 custom. Both the lighter weight and the smaller body size have worked out wonderfully for me (but then again I'm 5'8 155 lbs. and you may be 6'4 and 220.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »
I think it's either going to be the Orion or Elan headstock but either in reverse, so that it would be strung 2+3, or at least the hole pattern flipped, placing the post for the B string a little further back from the nut.  

I actually did think about that 3/4 size Omega body, but mostly for the aesthetic appeal. (IIRC, the J.J. Sig. is a 3/4 body) Being of average build, I'm okay with basses a little on the heavy side, balance being the greater issue for me than total weight, But shoot, I don't notice much of a balance issue with the Persuader 5 where most do.

tbrannon

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »
There are some fantastic 3/4 sized body basses here on the forum- Olie has a really beautiful spalted maple topped 3/4 bass that I remember having the Omega, but I can't seem to locate it in the showcase section right now....  

I vote for the Orion or Elan peghead with that body shape, but I'm not a huge fan of the cone, so I'll admit my bias  

EDIT- I found at least a picture of Olie's 3/4 spalted maple bass. Good shot too, because it shows the body size difference compared to the other big bodied basses-   [link

(Message edited by tbrannon on March 09, 2015)

(Message edited by adriaan on March 09, 2015)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
Haven't updated in a while, but I have been nose-to-th'-grindstone on making this dream thread actually happen... was just talking to Mica the other day, about something unrelated, and afterward realized this could happen sooner rather than later. I sure don't wanna' be the guy that changed his mind after the Mothership's band-saw was done. =)?

So I left off with headstock patterns and wood selections...

Thanks in part to Flip's skills, I have been able to visualize what each looks like with the Standard Omega body, and I am very drawn to the Orion 3+2. Not settled yet, but it's ahead of the Spoiler Cone if only by a nose. Honestly, neither would be a regrettable choice.?

On top wood, ... I'm just gonna' have to toss a coin. I love the simple beauty of walnut or maple, but despite the inclination to go with a choice of native wood... dang, that vermilion is nice, and ages even nicer. One of those three for sure though.?

Here's another consideration - accent wood. (or not, depending) I like contrast... a darker top really stands out against the mahogany body with a lighter accent. Likewise, for a lighter top and darker accent. I must have spent 20 hours looking at various combinations... purpleheart accent under maple, maple accent under vermilion... I'm inclined to just choose a top wood and turn the Elves loose with the rest. They all look so incredible that again, you couldn't go wrong either way.?

I've had an idea for one single inlay at the very end of the sidelined fretless fingerboard... it would be the one small personalizing touch I would add to an otherwise simple bass. Since it would be a defining feature, I'm going to let the idea percolate a while longer.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:06 AM »
Another edit to the Dream thread is about due...

I've been giving some thought to weight and balance, and a couple suggestions on the 3/4 body. After some more reading and a survey thread, I'm thinking a good compromise might be the Anniversary Model Omega. It's scaled down some from the full-size Standard, but larger than 3/4. The idea came from another Club member who has AM-008 for sale in the Swap Shop... (might be the only five-string AM) I loved the proportions, even on the long scale. The day that one came up was one of the weakest moments... had it been fretless or 32 scale this thread might've been moot!

And I've decided to go pre-1980 style with the body laminates... top and back, but no accents or pinstripes. Possibly with a different top and back laminate. I also favor the earlier (?) Omega cut over the full cup-holder - kind of a half Omega.  

No resolve on headstock pattern, but still leaning towards 3+2 Orion. I'm inclined towards a cocobolo or rosewood laminate on both outer faces, regardless of top wood choice. The inlay idea I had is a pretty sure thing, though it may end up in the back of the headstock rather than the fingerboard end. Either way, it's very small, won't be a make-or-break thing.

I'm about 70% of the goal now I guess... this may actually be harder than the wait that I hope is coming. For now there's a steady stream of gigs, and an alarming size pile-up of work in my shop that should put me over soon.

tbrannon

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »
I think you're doing it right in terms of waiting and thinking long and hard about details.  I did the same thing with my custom build I had done and was so glad I did it the way I did it.  I went through a thousand ideas before I settled and then I just let it sit for awhile to make sure it was really what I wanted.  

I'd also suggest talking to Mica or Susan or even giving an educated dealer a call to discuss.  If you haven't decided already, I'd recommend giving Will Gunn a call.  He had some fantastic insight and ideas when I was in the planning stages.  

Also- the no accent laminations is a great look. I had it done on the Elan I built.  

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Thanks Toby, and you're 100% right... in addition to lengthy exchanges with several of the folks in here, I have talked (briefly) with both Mica & Susan, as well as an educated dealer. I just didn't want to take up much of their time until it's time to pony up deposit and give the go-ahead. At that point, I'll be driving them all crazy! =)

hammer

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »
I'd second Toby with respect to giving Will a call.  He's always ready to discuss Alembic basses and after having several lengthily discussions with him prior to putting in my orders for a custom Signature and a Further (through Will of course) I changed a wide number of characteristics of my orders.  It's sound like you know what you want, but Will will be able to help you explore other possibilities you might not have considered as well as let you know how the choices you have made are going to impact the sound and playability of your custom creation. For the bass I ended up ordering I made the following changes based on my discussions with Will: reduced to a 3/4 body size;  made changes to the neck recipe (adding some ebony); adjusted the neck shape; added a Fatboy in the bridge position; and switched from a short to medium scale. I don;t regret making any of the changes Will suggested nor listening to his advice as to what not to add since it wouldn't influence playability or sound.

jacko

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:29 AM »
don't forget, once you've made up your mind you'll have to rearrange your choices once you see the monthly special :-)

Graeme.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 05:11:34 AM »
Ha! We're in mind-meld, Graeme and I... =) Yeah, I keep a close check on that page. This month's special:

http://www.alembic.com/info/special.html

Two-for-one specials, (well, they're all pretty sweet!) but of all custom options I don't care for, LED's just don't do it for me. I like seeing them on you guys' basses,  they're just not for me. (not even free ones)  

FWIW, I spec'd sidelines, and brass side dots. It's just what I'm used to I guess.  

p.s. - Will Gunn is indeed encyclopedic.

rustyg61

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2015, 12:18:02 AM »
Gregory, I used to think the side LED's were just bling until I got mine & now I can't live without them! My Europa has silver rings around the LED's so I can see the markers with or without the LED's turned on.
Rusty
2011 SCSD
2014 "Blue Orca" Series II Europa

edwin

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
Rusty is right, side LEDs are indeed very cool. I miss them from my SI that I sold to Pierre-Yves. The front LEDs are just bling, although they were fun, but the side LEDs are very useful and I wish my Starfire had them.

flpete1uw

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Not the same as an original install, but if your Bass doesn't have installed lights these have worked pretty well on my Distillate.  
https://fretfx.com

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice and comments fellas. I will keep an open mind... the LED's are cool, just aren't much of a priority.  

To the good side - I just had a few much-needed days off work. I had gigs lined up on Saturday & Sunday, but the bookends of the Holiday weekend I was able to spend some un-interupted time in my shop and managed to clear out three set-ups on upright basses I had been putting off for the past month. Also knocked out a wall-hanger banjo project for an old friend. About a month ago, I bought 8 cellos in various states of repair offa' the local Craigslist, so I went through all them scavenging hardware and parts from the poor-conditioned ones, and triaged the ones to be fixed for resale... I'll be fixing two, maybe three of them, the rest will end up as decor/artwork. I'm hoping to sell all the ebony and rosewood parts/hardware to another repair shop to cover my initial investment.  

All of which = $$$ towards the Custom Build. =)

I dreamed up what might seem a(nother) nutty idea the other night... purely in the spirit of vintage/retro vibe, I thought about asking if the battery box could be located for front access, under the strings and right between the pickups, like the earliest Series' were. Brass cover of course. I don't recall seeing on these pages anyone doing that... in a practical sense, it might free up a little room in the control cavity for a front-mounted jack, plus all the EMW wiring. (isn't EMW usually side-jacked?) I dunno... maybe it's too far-fetched.