Author Topic: Starfire with Europa  (Read 1657 times)

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Thanks, Jazzyvee, good advice.  I read through the post link that you provided, seems it might come down to personal preference as to which one to go with.  I might explore the two volume with master option.  I have used the two volume option for guitar as well, so it's not too foriegn to me.  I also like the thought of having a Q-switch for each pickup as well, that could expand the tonal options...so much for keeping it simple!

adriaan

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 04:10:25 AM »
The Q switches go with the filter, not with the pickup. So you'll have 2 filters with Q switches (3-way is thoroughly recommended), 2 volumes and a master volume. Soinds like a plan!

sonicus

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »
I like the Master Volume knob ! ___I think that is a good plan as well.  

Since the signal will be able to output from the instrument via standard 1/4  TS (tip sleeve) ,WHY NOT wire it to be powered externally with the extra positive ring from a TRS( tip,ring,sleeve) plug instead using the sleeve as common ground and the signal hot either tip or ring and the 9 volts DC either tip or ring. ( it would be decision of the final designer wiring it to pick Tip or Ring for the DC power)
Will that work ? That way there might not be a need to cut a place for a battery on the instrument OR cut open the back at all.  An external battery pack or filtered power source would be at the opposite side of the TRS cord  both powering the bass and routing out the audio output.  

Just thinking !  

Wolf

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 06:45:34 AM »
Adriaan, thanks for the clarification. I like the 3-way Q as well, I have one on my Orion and like the versatility it provides. I agree with you and Wolf, a master volume is needed!

Wolf, thanks for your thoughts, the outside power source is a nice idea and something I will discuss with the folks at Alembic as we work through the details.
Rob

sonicus

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
Rob,  
I look forward to watching the process of this project. In the hands of the experianced and high level of craftsmanship  @ Alembic everything will turn into Gold ! & Magic !  

Wolf

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »
I had another great conversation with Mica this evening and we worked out the details.  I'm going with Anniversary electronics with master volume, 3-way Qs and a couple other details.  Wolf, I am on the Golden Road! It's in the queue and I can't stop smiling!!  Thanks, Mica!

sonicus

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:22 PM »
Rob,  
         I think that those are all wise choices. I look forward to the resulting instrument .   The Golden Road  is surely an exciting adventure.

Wolf

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
I stopped by the Mother Ship between Santa Clara shows this weekend, and Mica was gracious enough to take time out of her weekend to show me around.  I was thrilled to be walking through the space where it all happens, and learning about how it all comes together, and was able to try out a couple different bass models in front of the infamous couch and painting, fantastic!  I saw my bass on the wall waiting patiently in line, FTC page to follow.  Thanks Mica!

David Houck

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
Congrats on getting started Robert!

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
You are so psyched! I think Anniversary sounds great - that's what my Stanley Clarke has, I couldn't be happier. Awesome that you got a tour too - you didn't happen to see a red Guild M-85 in the queue by any chance?

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 08:15:08 PM »
Thanks hieronymous!  Yes, very psyched and looking forward to the learning curve with the Anniversary set up. I think I recall seeing the M-85, but I'm not sure exactly where, there are a lot of instruments all over that shop!

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »
Thanks, Dave, I can't wait to hear how it sounds!

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »
Hi Mica,

Just wondering if you might have a photo or two to ease the anticipation!  

Thanks,

Rob

rv_bass

• club
Starfire with Europa
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 07:09:02 AM »
Back plate installed, pickup rings created, pickup position determined, routing to begin soon...yeeha!

rv_bass

• club
Re: Starfire with Europa
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
Hi Mica,

Any updates on the progress?

Thanks,
Rob