Author Topic: Interesting new custom pre-amp for Stanley has.  (Read 1198 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Interesting new custom pre-amp for Stanley has.
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »
Just saw this new custom pre-amp built for Stanley Clarke on an alembic group on Facebook.  
Look pretty neat and compact way to get dual pre-amps with connections for 2 basses.  
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

David Houck

• club
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
Interesting!

moongerm

• club
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Want!

FC Bass

• club
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Need! :-)
Damaged Justice, Dutch 'tallica tribute: Website, Facebook, Youtube

'79 Series I
'83 Spoiler
'88 Spoiler
'99 Orion 5 fretless
'10 Elan 5

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »
Yeah!!

pierreyves

• club
    • www.vaucher-photos.ch
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »
we NEVER had following about input module.... maybe not interresting financilly for mothership ? proposition... and no follow...

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
I don't do Facebook, is there a shot of the back, too? Sweet looking unit!

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:00:53 PM »
No photo of the back but the details are.
Very small 5lb preamp that will fit in a carry on bag. Has 2 channels, power supply,  2x 5 pin inputs, and 1x 1/4 mono input., 2 x effects loops, 2x XLR DI Outs, 2 x 1/4 out pre-eq, 2 x 1/4 out post eq.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
Thanks Jazzy!

mica

• alembic
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
IN-2 will be made - sadly I have to find yet another sheet metal fabricator before that project, or any other new metal work is undertaken.  

This is built in a Hammond die-cast aluminum enclosure, and therefore drilled and punched here. We aren't going to develop a product in this enclosure, as it isn't quite ideal, but it certainly got the job done for Stanley.  

The front is very much like 2 F-1X preamps, but with 2 5-pin inputs and an HF control only for the treble pickups.  

The back has an additional mono input for emergencies or guests, tuner output, and each channel has effects send and return and a choice of outputs. The outputs are direct with a ground lift option, or 2 different full range outputs, one with the tone controls, and one without. A switching power supply is included so Stan can play anywhere and not worry about changing the voltage.  

The unit needed to fit comfortably in carry-on luggage, which it does at 10 x 6 x 3.75 inches, not including the protective handles.

The problem of travelling with the rackmounted gear is just getting worse and worse. The airlines sometimes lose or delay the checked rack, or it arrives munched and destroyed. If they check it in a shock-mounted case, it costs a fortune to travel with, adding hundreds of dollars to each flight they take. Bud tour? no problem with a rack! It's never lost, damaged, or delayed. But Stan has had to play without a preamp for a few shows and we worked really hard to get this made. My dad redesigned the preamp to be FET based, he and Tony wired it up, I did the panel artwork and drilling templates, dad drilled and punched the enclosure.  

Time was very pressed - as some of you already know my dad had cataract surgery in August and earlier this month, and so we had to do the work in the ten days time we had after he was allowed back to our dusty place. Many late nights, and an all-out all-nighter on the final push. Then to get it delivered last night it was like the Pony Express! I drove it down to Monterey, where I handed it off to my friend John Prock who met Stan's tech, Travis, in Bakersfield. Whew!  

Travis got a chance to set it up and test out the rig late last night and we received positive feedback this morning - he said it sounded AMAZING and it was very very quiet. Primary mission objectives complete! Sounds good and fits in carry-on.  

We do plan on developing this and a mono version as a product. We have been busy with some other electronic goodies too (new IN-2 among them), and once I get a new sheet metal artist to work with, I'll be sharing all sorts of fun stuff here on the club.  

I would have posted details here earlier about this preamp, but I was just too beat after the Gathering on Saturday and driving the 7-hour roundtrip last night. I used to be young!

keith_h

• club
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »
That's something I'd be interested in. Any thoughts on parallel inputs to allow monaural input on the XLR's to stereo out?  

Also Mica you're still a kid stop the talk about Used to be young. Time goes by too fast as it is. No need to rush it.  

Keith

(Message edited by keith_h on September 28, 2015)

David Houck

• club
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
Thanks for all the details, Mica; very cool!  And a great story!

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Whew!  

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »
Paging Will Gunn... you reading ^this^?  I was just thinking about those Series equipped basses of yours with outboard pre-amps... =)

edwin

• club
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »
This looks great. I'm sure the tone is typically stellar Alembic, even without the tubes. FETs can sound very good indeed.