Author Topic: AXYs vs FatBoy  (Read 732 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: AXYs vs FatBoy
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 03:38:22 AM »
Reviving a zombie thread...

One of my Alembics is a Mark King Signature Deluxe 5. When I first got it (used),  I swapped out the 2 stock AXYs for 2 Fat Boys. Lately, I've been thinking that, as compared to my Series basses, the sound was a bit too thick in the low mids, and not as punchy or clear as I'm used to hearing from my Alembics. So, I swapped out the Fat Boy in the neck for the stock AXY, adjusted the trim pots to precisely balance the out out of each pickup - and there it was! All of the clarity and depth of tone I am used to hearing! So, put me down as another Alembician who thinks that an AXY in the neck position and and Fat Boy in the bridge is the way to go. For my tastes, the Fat Boy in the neck is just too much - but I love it for the bridge pickup. YMMV, of course

This was highly recommended on my Custom fretless. The only direct comparison available is my older Distillate, and it's remarkable to me how much alike they are, but you're absolutely right, that FatBoy definitely has more attitude... it's a perfect mate for the bridge position, but would probably be overkill for the neck.

If memory serves, Joey had two FatBoys on his Big Red Spoiler, and liked it.

hammer

• club
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 04:31:40 AM »
I have two Signature Basses, a Custom with a FatBoy in the Bridge position (highly recommended by Mica) and an SC Standard that has two AXYs.  If my Custom is any gauge, one FatBoy will do the trick.  It provides a "fuller" sound without being overbearing.  Although similar in construction, the Standard with the two AXYs sounds a little thin to me.

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
I indeed had two Fatboys in the BRB, replacing both AXY's, on the premise I did not want to 'mix and match', made more sense for me to have the same thing both places.  For my ears, I was right.  As always, your results may vary . . . . . . There was nothing wrong with the AXY's, but I preferred the FatBoys.   I liken the difference that the AXY's were like exceptional studio monitors, very honest in their presentation, but they sounded like that in that it seemed a 'flat' response.  FatBoys sounded like really good high-end stereo speakers, a few dips and humps put in by someone that knew where to put them, and I just liked that better.  Not a night+day difference, subtle really,  but enough of a tweak on Alembic's sound that I just liked them better.