Author Topic: Signature to Anniversary  (Read 238 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Signature to Anniversary
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:05 AM »
I'm in the process of finalising my upgrade to anniversary electronics for my SC Deluxe and signature Europa bass. For the Europa I am adding a bass boost switch that usually comes with a standard Europa/Rogue bass but instead of having a bass cut option I want two boost settings. Hopefully Mica will say that is possible. The reason for that is that sometimes when doing reggae I want to add some more meat to the bottom end in a drum and bass section without having to close the filter down and up the volume or on other occasions add some gentle heft to the bottom when I'm playing quieter whilst the   vocalist is talking to the crowd and I want to reduce the overall volume but keep the deep feel in the bottom end. I hope I get the green light from that.

One question I'd like your input on is the location of the pickup selector switch. have a look at the two pictures below. I'm going for a circular one because there will be less room for a pointy switch between the two volume knobs and the bridge or pickup than either an anniversary or series bass that has been designed with that switch in mind.

If you have done the mod and kept the pointy switch, did it work out ok and does it get in the way of operating either of the volume knobs. I would rather keep the position of the switch close to the two volumes for familiarity with my series basses rather than move it somewhere non standard.
Practically it would be easier to grab and operate the pointy switch and feel what position it is in whilst playing but depending on it's position it may impede quick access to the two volume knobs.

For the boost switch I would like it to be where the existing LED switch is (closest to the outer right edge of the bass) and move the LED function to the short throw switch nearest the jack, which currently is the mute switch and never used and will become redundant when I have the anniversary switch installed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:58:09 AM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
Re: Signature to Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:52:36 AM »
I can't offer much in the way of helpful advice, but wholeheartedly applaud the effort, Jazzy... sounds like some great, common-sense mods. You only need to figure out what will work best for you from a user-friendly perspective. Go man, go.  8)

adriaan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:33 AM »
Do you actually use the pickup selector on your Series basses? You might consider ordering the package without the selector, or with a master volume instead.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
Yes I do use it mostly for the neck pickup. I can't really think of a time when I use the bridge on it's own. But, you make a good point that I had not considered as an option. That said as I gig more with my series I bass than the II, so whenever I use the series II on a gig, I almost forget I have a master volume and adjust both volumes to drop the volume or just play lightly. hmmmmm
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

keith_h

• club
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:12 PM »
I can't speak to the pointy knob with the selector switch near the controls. I will say I am happy with the round knob in the tradition selector switch position and have never had a problem determining where it was set. 

I think your idea for the Europa is a good one. I've found over the years that the LED's are either on or off (mostly one) so having the switch out of  the way isn't a big deal. Also by putting the boost in the current LED switch location you don't have to retrain your muscle memory for the various pickup controls.