Author Topic: Alembic Fx-1 preamp  (Read 639 times)

RBW

Alembic Fx-1 preamp
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
OK,
Where do I plug in the pre amp to the amp?  Can someone give me the right inputs to plug in my Fx-1 to my power head?   Just not really a tech here. I'll be honest the Ashdwon JE 1000 was easy to plug into the power head made for that!   But, I have no idea where to put the wires/plugs from the amp to the Fx-1 and anything would help.  I have a Genz Benz streamliner 900 that seems the simplest power head to use to join with the Fx-1.  The Ashdown JE 1000 weighs like 60 lbs. so it's ridiculous to use that.  Now I could get just a power head with no preamp and use that.  Which one?  Is there a way to actually do the hi/low so I can adjust the two speakers?  Or should I just plug it into the 8x10 fridge I have OR two 2x15 Sunn bass cabinets and just get a probably 500 watt power head so I don't burn up the cabinets?

Any simply solution and recommendations would be of great value!  I have the Entwistle Spyder bass and it's beautiful, but If I had more money, I would order one that weighed about 7 lbs lighter... Oh well... life.

Thanks,
Richard

David Houck

• Global Moderator
Re: Alembic Fx-1 preamp
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »
... Where do I plug in the pre amp to the amp? ... I have a Genz Benz streamliner 900 that seems the simplest power head to use to join with the Fx-1 ... Any simply solution and recommendations would be of great value!

Simple solution is to plug into the Receive jack of the EFX Loop.  The Master Volume on the Streamliner will control the signal being input to the power amp section.  All of the Streamliner's preamp controls will be bypassed.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
Hi, Richard, and welcome to the club.  Here's a little Gear 101:

Most guitar and bass amp combos and heads are actually composed of a preamp and a power amp.  I believe your Genz Benz 900 is is just such an amp.   You can also have a separate preamp and power amp.  Your F-1X is a stand alone preamp.  You need to mate it to a power amp, and then to a speaker cabinet.  (Although, your F-1X does have a direct out that can go straight to the PA, but let's leave that for Gear 102).   On some amps with a effects loop (like your Genz Benz), you can plug into the return of the effects loop and just use the power amp section of the Genz Benz.  I don't know if this would work with your Genz Benz and strongly suggest you research this before trying it so you don't fry anything.  Otherwise, you will need a power amp.  If you give us an idea of your budget and your playing situation, there are lots of folks around here who can advise you on your best options.   Once you get it all together you will really enjoy your F-1X.  It's a great preamp.

Bill, the guitar one

jacko

• club
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
I'd not bother trying to split the signal high/low.  On all the stages I've ever played it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.  Seeing as you have an 8x10 ampeg, I'd take a mono jack from the full range output on the F1-x into the effects receive on the streamliner. According to the genz manual the effects loop is specifically designed for this ...

"EFFECTS LOOP – A rear panel effects loop (SEND and RECEIVE jacks) is provided for connecting line level “serial” outboard devices such as compressors and may also be used for parallel type outboard devices (delays, reverbs, harmonizers, octavers etc.) by using the mix control located on the outboard device. This loop is located right before the Master Volume control and is also intended as a Preamp Out / Power Amp In connection for possible “chaining” of amplifiers in a Master / Slave configuration. The effects “loop” contains a “normal switch” in the receive jack that interrupts the signal path when a plug is inserted into the receive jack. The send jack may be used as a Post-EQ Aux. output without breaking the signal path. The Master Volume control adjusts the volume of any signal input through the Effects Return jack.".

Of course you may find you prefer the tones of the genz without using the F1-x in which case I'm sure there are loads of folk on here willing to take it off your hands.

Graeme.

RBW

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »
OK... Thank all of you alot@  I don't want to seem stupid... but I am limited in tech....   OK... The GB sounds great already... HOWEVER, I would really like to get a simple power head, but not 1000 watts that weighs a ton like the JE Ashdown I have... Too much weight!   Can someone suggest a simple power head that is more conducive to use the Fx-1 with that has the high/low etc. in holes/inputs to use?   Is there one more make for using a pre amp that someone can suggest?   Like 600 watts?  700 watts?  just something that is powerful enough that has some freeway to it so I don't have to turn it up very far...

By the way, I still didn't understand a lot of the suggestions and telling me which input to put a cord in and to take it to that input would help a lot more... I'm from the old days when all we had was three adjustments and power....

Richard

RBW

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
I had a spiritual awakening...or a music awakening....

OK... Now... If I plug the bass into the FX-1 input    AND plug the high from the FX-1 into the input for the bass of the first amp AND then plug the low from the FX-1 into the input on the front of the 2nd amp and then plug the regular 2 cabinets into the two regular amps I have finally Bi amped!!!!

It's just really complicated to understand how to do it with a power amp from the rear, or to do it from a single amp since it's kind of almost worthless unless I want more preamp to an amp with preamp already!  like a pedal on the floor...

Ha ha.... I finally got it... Just don't understand which plugs in the rear to do it with a power head with no pre amp unless it's depicted how to do it.

Thank you!

Richard

RBW

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
Hi, Richard, and welcome to the club.  Here's a little Gear 101:

Most guitar and bass amp combos and heads are actually composed of a preamp and a power amp.  I believe your Genz Benz 900 is is just such an amp.   You can also have a separate preamp and power amp.  Your F-1X is a stand alone preamp.  You need to mate it to a power amp, and then to a speaker cabinet.  (Although, your F-1X does have a direct out that can go straight to the PA, but let's leave that for Gear 102).   On some amps with a effects loop (like your Genz Benz), you can plug into the return of the effects loop and just use the power amp section of the Genz Benz.  I don't know if this would work with your Genz Benz and strongly suggest you research this before trying it so you don't fry anything.  Otherwise, you will need a power amp.  If you give us an idea of your budget and your playing situation, there are lots of folks around here who can advise you on your best options.   Once you get it all together you will really enjoy your F-1X.  It's a great preamp.

Bill, the guitar one

YES... YES.... YES.... I got it.... I kept thinking you could do a Bi (two) amp with (one/mono) amp!!!!!    I could not figure that out.... Heck the Marshall ICS had all the bi amp stuff on the back but I never could figure that out either.... OK....

Now I can either get 1 power head that is split 50/50 with two sets of input/output on the back for two separate power and do that by plugging it into the FX-1 high and low and use that to Bi amp.   Or get Two amps and plug those both into high/low of Fx-1 and bi amp that way...

Man... so confusing!   

Is there a system to lighten 7 lbs of my Alembic Spyder or is that just as it is?  Ha ha...

Richard
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:56:24 PM by adriaan »

adriaan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:13:07 AM »
Is there a system to lighten 7 lbs of my Alembic Spyder or is that just as it is?  Ha ha...
You might try www.hoverharness.com - though you'd have to ask if it works with a Spyder shape. The owner is a member here, so he might pitch in on this.

jacko

• club
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:26 AM »
Now I can either get 1 power head that is split 50/50 with two sets of input/output on the back for two separate power and do that by plugging it into the FX-1 high and low and use that to Bi amp.   Or get Two amps and plug those both into high/low of Fx-1 and bi amp that way...

Richard

The QSC PLX range of power amps are pretty light compared to crown and do exactly what you want. I bi-amped an F1-X into a PLX2402 into two cabs for a while but couldn't see any difference to running the F1-X full range output and setting the PLX to parallel input. 

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:56:43 AM by adriaan »

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
I'm with you jacko on the Bi amping I tried it a couple of times and maybe because of the venue etc I didn't really benefit from that complication. I got rid of my QSC because it was too heavy and because of that I didn't use it as much as I wanted.

RBW,  if you are looking for a power amp to use with the F1-x I can recommend a Crown XLS1502 or one of the more powerful models in the XLS range which are 2u rack mount. I also have a lightweight 1U  Synq 1K0 power amp which delivers 1000w bridged into 8 ohms. They also do more powerful 1U and shallow rack power amps that are light. Both brands are class D. Not as meaty soundwise as the QSC but if weight is an issue they are a decent compromise.

The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
Also not a fan of bi-amping after experimenting with it back in the 80s. The newer full-range cabinets you can buy now really eliminate the need.

For a lightweight power amp you could also consider the Crest ProLite series. So far I have had a good a experience with the ProLite 3.0, plenty of power on board and only 13lbs in a 2u rack size. So many choices for good lightweight bass equipment these days.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 05:39:08 PM »
I use a QSC-GX7 with either a F-2B or a F-1X, sounds great, and amp and preamp fit in a three-rack case for easy transport.

edwin

• club
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
Also not a fan of bi-amping after experimenting with it back in the 80s. The newer full-range cabinets you can buy now really eliminate the need.

For a lightweight power amp you could also consider the Crest ProLite series. So far I have had a good a experience with the ProLite 3.0, plenty of power on board and only 13lbs in a 2u rack size. So many choices for good lightweight bass equipment these days.

I'm a big fan of the Prolite 3.0. It sounds really good (I've used Crown, QSC, and most of the other major brands).

However, I'm now down the Bass Block. 4lbs and way more power than I need. It interfaces really well with an Alembic pre. For multiple dissimilar cabinets I might bring out the Crest again, but it's hard to beat traveling so light.

RBW

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:33:08 PM »
Thank for the recommendations!

I got a couple of the new Orange OB1 300's and I'll be putting the 'stuff' together probably tomorrow if the other one gets here.  I'll let you know... I still remember Entwistle and his 'Stramp' for doing the same... His later years music was really not my style, too much effects, but I still love the bins, the 412lh's and his finding ways to split and USE the different hi/low to sound fantastic... Who knows... I have only to try...

Richard

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 04:48:16 AM »
Didn't get it. If you already have your preamp, why buying full amps like Orange? Wouldn't be better and more affordable geting just 2 power amps or even one stereo with independant channels?
Not just a bass, this is an Alembic!