Author Topic: B-E-A-Distillate...  (Read 136 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
B-E-A-Distillate...
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
It's partly Will Gunn's fault, but I've hatched another hare-brained scheme...

So I recently came into a super-sweet old '77 Series I medium-scale and set it up with my favorite T-I Jazz Flats, and it's a perfect complement to my '81 Distillate, also a medium-scale, currently wearing T-I Jazz Rounds. But I couldn't just stop there... noooo, the madness ensued. What if I wondered, what if this Distillate were strung B-E-A-D ?!

So after talking it through with the Head Elf, Herself the other night, I've decided to give it a try. I'll save the original saddles and adjustable nut so it can be easily converted back to standard tuning in a few minutes, but I went ahead and ordered a set of new saddles and a nut blank. https://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/babrsa.html Won't be necessary for this one to be adjustable, (I can't remember ever adjusting the one that's on there now) but I'll have to be extry-careful about filing the string slots.

This is just too good of a bass to get sidelined for redundancy's sake... and I ain't much about getting rid of 'em. If the B-E-A-D experiment doesn't work out, I'll just switch it back to standard pitch and go back to T-I Jazz Rounds again. They sound fantastic on there, especially when playing with a pick. And if it does, then so much the better.

:)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:33:43 PM by edwardofhuncote »

the_home

Re: B-E-A-Distillate...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:27:24 PM »
Greg, I am looking forward to hearing how this ends...

Having also acquired a Series bass in the last six months as you have, I too find it difficult to justify keeping the others since the Series can cover all 'basses".

I try to justify the 'extras' as one is a 5 string (high strung) which covers a range unavailable to the 4 string Series. And if course on is always necessary simply as a back-up.

Looking forward to your review of the BEAD Distillate.
Medium Scale Series 1 Standard Point; Essence 5; Spoiler 5(BigRedBass); Essence 4; Spoiler Exploiter 4

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the aye vote, Tim.  ;)

It isn't as much about justification for keeping it as a genuine experiment. I've talked to Will several times about this tuning, and for what it's worth, the Encyclopedius Alembicus does have a 5-string too. (it's quite a looker, I might add!) I believe that I can do without the top string and just like when I made the transition from 4 strings to 5, then back to 4, I seem to have developed this strange immunity to the mental block I once had... now I can just play! I'm hoping for a similar result with the alternate tuning.

This Distillate though... it's really special like it is, and I didn't want to make any change too permanent. It just made sense to use it for the test.  :)

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:39:39 AM »
I also am eagerly anticipating the results of this.  Gregory,thanks for taking one for the team and keeping us in the loop!  ;D
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 06:25:32 AM »
Just got a note from the charming Aunt Mary at HQ in Santa Rosa... the new brass saddles and nut blank are on the way.   :D