Author Topic: My 30 years with alembic basses  (Read 290 times)

Alexce69

My 30 years with alembic basses
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »
Hello to everyone, I beg your perdon for my bad English. Alembic basses were and are my "trusted friends" from almost 30 years. The first was a series 1,  I was twenty ..i don't forget my excitement on that day. The second was an Elan 1988, I needed a more easy instrument to use at that time. It stood with me from 88 to 96. On 1996 I bought a QLSB4,  one of the last (if not the last) imported in Italy. One years ago I sold my Rogue, don't ask me why. I have bought a plenty of different basses but..nothing..the feeling, the tone e the blood of Alembic basses are  a different things .  Yesterday I found an Elan 1989 in sold, I didn't even ask the price to its owner. I have bought one of the most important bass of my life and now i'm feeling like that guy thirty years ago.
It's over 22 years that Alembic Basses aren't imported in Italy and I think that the Italian Bass players have losted one of the best brand about bass guitar, all around the world.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:56:34 AM by Alexce69 »
there is a subtle logical thread, and people stumble..

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Re: My 30 years with alembic basses
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
Hi Alexce69, welcome to the forum. I can feel your excitement. Most bass players never get to see or even play an alembic and when they do, not all of them appreciate what these basses can do for them.  But those of us who understand them, it is hard to play anything else. I have had my first one 16 years ago and have only done one gig where i did not play an alembic. We would move to see some pictures of your alembics.
Here is the usual place to put pictures of alembics.
http://club.alembic.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=lrduhkfc1c6pk96u721k955te6&board=675.0
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

Alexce69

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »
Thank you Jazzyvee, i’ve just put a couple of pictures. Have a nice day, or night..here in Italy it’s 9,15 PM !
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:22:25 PM by Alexce69 »

David Houck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
Welcome!

Alexce69

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
Thank you , David.

StefanieJones

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
Hi Alex, welcome!

I found the Alembic fever back in the early 80s but couldn't afford one then. After all those years I finally came across the Spoiler that I could afford. That was last year. I haven't picked up my old P bass since. I know that excitement you talk about. It's such a good feeling!

Alexce69

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:04:14 AM »
 Hi, Stefaniejones. You’re right. I think that original P-bass is a stunning killer bass, but nothing to compared with Spoiler. When a bass player discovers low pass filter with its incredible variety of tones, his life is changed forever! I hope that you can understand my bad english.

the_home

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
Hi Alex, and welcome to the family. You seem to have some experience with Alembic basses over the years. I am one here who took some time to come to Alembic, but once here I found it difficult to be satisfied with just one! I guess that's why there are different models.
Medium Scale Series 1 Standard Point; Spoiler 5(BigRedBass); Essence 4; Spoiler Exploiter 4

Alexce69

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 02:40:05 AM »
Hi the _home. I think that, like other brands, different woods, different PU and Elettronics features correspond to different sounds result. In my opinion one of the best “features” of Alembic basses is that no one is the same to other. My series one short scale, was very different, in terms of playbilty and sounding from my QLSB4 or my first Elan. In my opinion It’s a different way to see respect to “Fender vision”. Different musician, different music, different basses to each. What I’ve most appreciate about my Alembic basses, during the year are the precision of the fingerboard, the balance in the mix and the results in recording session. This is a home recording made 22 years ago, with an Elan Bass. As you can listen it cut the mix like a sword. (Don’t mind the song, but the sound).
I envy your Alembic bass collection !!

Have a nice Day..or night, here is 11,38 AM.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:47:03 AM by Alexce69 »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
Cool tune, bass sounds great!  :)

goran

• Advanced Member
    • bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 05:57:08 AM »
hey Alex nice to see you here, I'm from Croatia and I'm in a hunt for 5 string Alembic, and often I'm visiting Mercatone Musicali for used 5 string Alembic (there is one MK there that is beautiful). I see a lot of Alembics used in Italy.

welcome here, I'm just about to check the pics that you posted.
alembics.... ahhhh

Alexce69

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »
Hi Goran, yes,  there are a lot of used alembic on “Mercatino Musicale”. There is a stunning epic five, for about two thousand euro . Here the link :
https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_alembic-epic-5-corde_id5807030.html

I think  there aren’t a lot of people that are interested in it, because are years that Alembic basses aren’t imported in Italy so they are famous only from  “aged” bass players. I think that you can bargain for the price..