Author Topic: Anyone here play reggae with a Series I or II bass and an F1-x preamp?  (Read 544 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Re: Anyone here play reggae with a Series I or II bass and an F1-x preamp?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 03:45:44 AM »
Good news, I have found an SF-2 over here in the UK and it should get here over by the weekend. I have rehearsal at the weekend and a gig next week so will give them a blast.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 10:22:11 AM »
Ok here is the thing. I tried it out this afternoon with my series I and barefaced cab after I moved the internal trim jumper lead to 20db.

Previously I had been using the input jack socket at the rear to connect my bass and found that was good but a little quiet volume wise compared to me using the F1-x, but after an on line conversation with Will Gunn he said thathe thinks the jumper inside relate to the jack on the front and he uses it as it came from alembic. So when I took it to rehearsal and tried it out, the result was a massive output which seems to be hitting the power amp too hard and distorting so it was back to the rear jack input which was fine for quality but not enough volume I think for a larger stage/venue.
I do think it would be great for reggae but for other things where I need to make quick changes on the bass, having two sets of filtering, one on the bass and the other on the SF-2 I would find quite confusing as the SF-2 seems more in charge than my bass.

So on a first outing I think my next test will be drop the jumper in the SF-2 back to 10 db and try it out by putting my bass into the front jack and see what affect that has on things. My ears tell me at the moment that the SF-2 is more effective in the send and return loop of the F1-x than on it's own. But we shall see.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 07:43:05 PM »
Right, live test observations. I've just got home from a reggae gig in a small venue in London using my Maple Signature Europa 5 bass into the front of my SF-2 in mono mode, then into my Synq 1K0 power amp driving my 800w Barefaced Big Baby2 cab.
It sounded great once i'd managed to get the eq settings on the bass and the SF-2 in the right place. The SF-2 is really powerful and I found that I needed to find the sweet spot where I could get the sound I wanted but still have the SF-2 set at a point that I could control things from the bass.

Channel 1 is set in Low Pass mode and Channel 2 is in Band pass.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:51:30 PM by jazzyvee »

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Another couple of reggae gigs under my belt and the sf-2 as a preamp is doing an excellent job.  Can you confirm my understanding of the SF-2 filter gain knob. Am i right in thinking that knob raises the level of all the frequencies below the set frequency by the same amount if in LP mode and all above the set frequency by the same amount if in HP mode?
That is what i am assuming then using the band pass of the second channel to choose the low end punch frequency.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:16:15 AM by jazzyvee »

jon_jackson

• club
  • Advanced Member
In looking at the SF-2 manual, your understanding about the filter gain seems to be correct.
2011 Quilted Maple Dragon Wing, Anniversary Electronics
2007 Quilted Cocobolo Custom 5-string Tribute-body Bass ("Scarlet")
2006 Cocobolo SC Deluxe SS
2003 Quilted Maple Series II Europa ("Almost Twins")
1996 Flame Walnut Elan fretless
1994 Flame Maple Classico
1976 Walnut Series I SS

edwin

• club
Another couple of reggae gigs under my belt and the sf-2 as a preamp is doing an excellent job.  Can you confirm my understanding of the SF-2 filter gain knob. Am i right in thinking that knob raises the level of all the frequencies below the set frequency by the same amount if in LP mode and all above the set frequency by the same amount if in HP mode?
That is what i am assuming then using the band pass of the second channel to choose the low end punch frequency.

That's exactly it and the damping knob adds a bump at the cutoff frequency. For a super deep and clear sound, try no unfiltered signal, high pass on one filter swept all the way down and damping to taste. It ensures no subsonics get through but the low end is massive.

rv_bass

• club
Edwin, what do you mean by “no unfiltered signal”?

edwin

• club
Edwin, what do you mean by “no unfiltered signal”?

An SF-2 allows you to mix the direct signal with the filtered signal, so in this scenario, it's all filtered signal.

rv_bass

• club
Ah, thank you!