Author Topic: New Series II Build  (Read 4173 times)

kingmidas3

• club
New Series II Build
« on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I owned a used 1981 Series II that a BIT student sold to me to fund a purchase a Steinberger in 1983. Unfortunately, I had to sell it to fund expenses when I was younger. Last month, I started playing around with the “Alembic Custom Quote” feature which led me to finalizing what will be an amazing instrument with some classic and some cutting edge features going all out in a Series II 4 string bass. I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced the option pricing has been landing. Stay tuned (pun intended) for what will most likely be a delivery in February of 2019. Been dealing with Susan on this one and she’s been a delight to both work with and to talk about life lessons with.
I’m selling off some nice basses and guitars to fund the build however the experience is worth the price of admission, especially when you’re over a half a century old. So many things go into good design and manufacturing - the place is busy and Susan has sent me E-Mails at midnight her time. I saw a recent set of pictures on Facebook from someone’s tour of the Alembic factory and was blown away by how many custom builds that they have in production. The place is thriving. Ron Wickersham does the equivalent of tap tuning the electronics by hand to each instrument and some of the mockups that they will e doing for me pre-production are material and labor intensive. Plus, they treat their employees right with health insurance and a fully stocked fridge with meals and snacks to retain their engaged workers. You’ll pay more for an Alembic but value seldom equates to price. Susan can’t make them any cheaper with the who, what, where, when, why and how market that they serve.
Edward in St Louis

David Houck

• Global Moderator
Re: New Series II Build
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Congrats on your new build!

tx196059

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »
Hi Edward. I am also having a new build, and could not have said it better about the process, and the Alembic family. Dreams come true for those who wait. Looking forward to seeing pictures. Cheers!

Joe

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
Thanks David and Joe. I'm doing some firsts for Alembic on this build. Susan dove into her stash of woods and selected some unique walnut for the top and back that she's been holding for 30+ years that are ideal for the body shape that we've selected (the figuring will only be given justice for this specific build). Once the build is complete, we will have photos and a story to share for the group.

David Houck

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Like Joe said, looking forward to pictures.

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
Sounds....delicious!!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »
Nice to have another Edward around here.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing what they create for you.

moongerm

• club
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Enjoy the ride, congratulations!

goran

• Advanced Member
    • bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 01:44:15 AM »
Congratulations, can't wait to see some pics!
alembics.... ahhhh

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
I share in your excitement and anticipation! They will flow once the bass starts to take shape.

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
Curious about your custom options
Not just a bass, this is an Alembic!

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 07:26:58 AM »
Hi Mario! I will be posting pictures when the bass arrives in 2019 - don't want to spoil anything until the finished product is completed.
I will say that I have been lurking in the wings since 1981, absorbing the classic features and cutting edge innovations that the company has made since then to put into the design - it will have some firsts yet the overall effect will be classy, representing good taste and utility at the same time. I'm glad that I have waited this long.

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
Susan went into her stash and presented a set of top and back wood that she’s had set aside for over 30 years just waiting for the specific body size and style that this instrument will have.

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 07:46:44 AM »
Got the E-Mail update that this week they will do the body mock up and send over the electronics layout. One small step...

kingmidas3

• club
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
New build is progressing nicely. Ebony pickup covers are under construction and neck laminates are in the glue presses. It’s always a happy day when Susan calls to give updates and to also chat. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She’s fascinating to talk with. What a great company. I can see why their family tribe has stood the test of time both inside and out of the Alembic factory.