Author Topic: Spectrum Custom Dreams  (Read 1241 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Spectrum Custom Dreams
« on: June 27, 2018, 04:27:27 AM »
After clapping my eyes on this guitar a few weeks ago, I am dreaming again of a custom guitar.
Whilst it's true I do more bass now than guitar, I have played guitar longer and am more confident in getting a guitar made the way I want rather than being able to spec a bass to blow my existing Series basses out of the water. I currently have a Series I guitar and a single filter based Orion guitar that I toured with for about a year so have had the opportunity to learn what my alembic preferences are.

For a guitar, prefer to change tone by changing pickups and fine tune it with a knob and so find single volume and tone solution to be more natural and simpler.
My starting point would be a spectrum body with an elan headstock, Europa style electronics with single filter, 3 position q-switch with bass/treble boost & cut.

Pickups I'd like 5 in a layout like this PRS 513 with 21 or 22 frets

A standard strat style 5 position switch to give me
1 = 2x neck pickups together
2 = 2x neck plus middle
3 = 2x neck and 2x bridge ( no middle pickup)
4 = 2x bridge plus middle
5 = 2x bridge.

Two extra switches/blade switch/or rotary series pointy knobs so that when the bridge or neck positions are selected I can choose which of the two pickups at each position can be selected. Both, outer or inner.
DS-5 powered with 5 pin series socket on the front and standard jack on the lower bout.

Hardware in chrome or blackened for a more subdued look depending on the woods.
I prefer the sound of a strat with a whammy even though I don't use it a lot so i'm still thinking about that and if I decide not to go for a whammy then a concealed hardware bridge although one like Phil Lesh's would be awesome but expensive. "Hey this is a dream right?"

Woods I'm thinking something dramatic close up but subtle at a distance so a dark wood top maybe something like burl cocobolo or walnut, blackwood, redwood or amboyna, whichever one of those is CITES safe, over a thick maple accent stripe like Stanley Clarke has on his basses, and the back in 5a quilted maple with continuous backplates and through neck showing all the way.

Side LED's and backlit headstock logo and initials inlaid at 12th or last fret. backlit logo somewhere on the body maybe behind the bridge like #12 or on the upper half of the body adjacent to the neck pickups. No battery option for LEDs only battery option for powering guitar when not using the DS-5.

Neck maple and ebony with the same dimensions and string spacing at the nut and bridge as my strat ultra, body woods I'm not sure maybe standard mahogany or flame maple but with a hollow core like a series instrument.
Food for thought.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:00:50 AM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
Re: Spectrum Custom Dreams
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
I'm not guitar player, or educated about guitars enough to appreciate your technical specifications, but the design ideas sound breathtakingly fantastic. Especially the backlit appointments... has that been done yet?

Go for it, I say.  8)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
This one from the custom archive has a has a backlit inlay http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_cheshire.html and there are a few more with the body inlays with some led's in.
Check out the teeth!!!
I guess having been a strat player virtually all of my guitar playing life it's a guitar that fits me quite naturally and I can get what sound I want quickly and intuitively, two filters slow me down which is one of the reasons I don't use my Series guitar live much. If I'd been used to Les Paul style guitars I guess the signature electronics would work better for me.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

tbrannon

• club
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
Sounds like a really well thought out design.    I like your idea on the DS5 cable for power.