Author Topic: Question about noise in neck pickup of MK Signature bass  (Read 256 times)

Picure

Question about noise in neck pickup of MK Signature bass
« on: March 03, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
I recently tried out what was to be my first Alembic bass in Tokyo Japan the other day. It was a 1987 Mark King Signature Deluxe. After trying it for a while, I found that when I open the filter for the neck pickup over halfway, there is a noticed high pitched noise that gets louder until the filter is fully opened. This noise was not present in the bridge pickup even with the bridge filters completely open. The store clerk was sure that this was due to the enviroment of the store but I believe otherwise. Because if it was an environmental thing, wouldnt both pickups be effected? Also, I picked up the bass and turned it around and there was completely no changes to the noise.

I ended opting out of buying that bass and looking into getting a Series 1 instead.

What do you guys think? Is it an enviromental thing that is effecting the pickup or is it a faulty pickup? If it is a faulty pickup, is it an easy fix?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:28:58 AM by Picure »

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Re: Question about noise in neck pickup of MK Signature bass
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:28:27 AM »
First off i would suggest exercising the pots. http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=220.0
If the bass hasnt been played for a long while this process will clean the sealed pots.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

adriaan

• club
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 02:35:48 AM »

First suggestion, always: exercise the pots and switches. Turn the puts from fully closed to fully open, and back, like 50 times. Move the switches through all positions (some have 2, some have 3, a pickup switch has 4) again like 50 times. The pots are fully enclosed (so the usual spray-on stuff will not work) but they are self-cleaning - as in: if you don't use them then this problem might build up over time.

If that doesn't help then some of the solder joints may have gone bad - which shouldn't be a terribly expensive thing to fix. Any electronics package that isn't a full-blown Series I or II should be easy to remove from the instrument (pickups and subassemblies use click-on connectors) and send to the Mothership for some TLC - make sure to contact them up front for expected turnaround time and costs.

If you're considering a Series instrument from before roughly 1995, and it has these symptoms, then it may need a bigger kind of upgrade that requires sending the whole iinstrument back to the Mothership. The reason is that the older electronics weren't designed with today's RI levels and frequencies in mind, however some of the older instruments seem to be humming long nicely without the upgrade.

Picure

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies/suggestions. However, the filter pot isn't really scratchy, and the noise is consistant and gradually increases as i open up the filters. And the noise sounds like a high pitched buzz note. Its hard to describe and I am unable to show it via video because I havent bought it yet. Ill be going back to Tokyo tomorrow. Maybe I can go to the shop and take a video and post it here.

Thanks!