Author Topic: Phil and Bobby Radio City Music Hall  (Read 542 times)

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
Phil and Bobby Radio City Music Hall
« on: March 03, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
Watched a stream of the second set last night. Today found the whole show (music starts about 34 minutes in). Not sure if the youtube link will be taken down but while it is available it is an excellent way to get a good listen to Phil's new bass Dream Fyre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGxk6x8bMnY&feature=youtu.be

mtjam

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: Phil and Bobby Radio City Music Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »
I watched the show last night, and I thought it was great! I enjoyed hearing Bobby and Phil playing in that stripped-down format.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Fantastic with headphones! :)

jwright9

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
Nice, Thanks!

David Houck

• club
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
First; nice bass!  :)

I was wondering how they would pull this off; but it works.  With just Bobby's rhythm and Phil's lines, it's somewhat akin to avant garde jazz.  Even without lead and keyboards and drums, they know where they are; and they're much more keyed in to each other.

There are places where Phil moves the downbeat to somewhere other than one, and it doesn't faze Boddy a bit; he's heard it a million times before.

All in all, it's just plain wonderful.  Thanks for posting the link!

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
Dead Tuna!

Bill, tgo

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
Dead Tuna!

Bill, tgo

That is exactly what I was thinking, Bill! Probably because I have been cramming all the Jack & Jorma that would fit between my ears lately. ;D

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
Reminds me of Weir/Wasserman or Garcia/Kahn... now Weir/Lesh joins this fine tradition :)

mavnet

• club
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
2nd set, second night, with Trey. Much more cohesive, and some really fine jamming.. Phil is really driving things. Love the way he seems to be blissful about where things are going... great closeups on a really nice sounding bass, too.

this line is a link, not sure why it shows like this.  [fixed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTt7QzIu2XU
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:52:30 PM by David Houck »

David Houck

• club
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:47 PM »
That set with Trey was wonderful!  Thanks!

jwright9

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:51 AM »
This set with Trey is fantastic. Love the dimension that he adds.

paulman

• club
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
I'm going to the Chicago Theater to see the boys on Saturday, and been purposely ignoring the online recordings so I can "go in fresh" like Frank Costanza!  8)

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »
I hadn't found out about it until this thread, alas, and the only tickets available for the Chicago Theater are from scalpers (oh, excuse me - "ticket brokers") starting at $173 a throw.
I went to Alpine Valley the day of the show, threw down $12, and got John Cippolina & Zakir Hussain sitting in in the bargain; sorry, just can't pay the freight for this one.......

Peter (Who wishes you kids would off his lawn!)
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

David Houck

• club
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
"Going in fresh" sounds like a good plan.  Let us know your impressions.

paulman

• club
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
Here goes Dave.   

I hadn't been to the Chicago Theater since the early 90's, it's a beautiful venue that opened in 1921 and very intimate.  It has a very ornate interior which added to the special feelings of the night.

They started off late, but opened with an amazing Box of Rain with Bobby and Phil, with a percussionist I'm not familiar with (Wally Ingram).  Throughout the set the percussionist would appear and disappear like smoke.  Other than that just Bob and Phil.   It was very sweet, but very much like a bluegrass band show.  The audience would start to sing and you couldn't hear Bob or Phil sing at some points.  being a respectful knowing audience however, it the sing-along was tempered after the first few times (we wanted to hear them sing!) and didn't reach the same level.   The boys totally knew what was happening, and realized we were out of their control so they just played along with it.  The whole first set was very nice, and Bob and Phil really took the jamming to some "other" places I haven't heard in a long time.  Super cool!  Ended first set with Register to Vote speech, and their were desks to register in a couple places in the venue.  Bobby: "So register to vote...unless you're happy with how things are going then don't bother!"  that was it for any government talk. 

Second set the percussionist was out the entire time, Jeff from Ratdog/Dead and Company on keys and...Charlie Sexton Larry Campbell on guitar!  That really surprised me in a good way.  They brought the PA up to more of a concert level. 

They played many Grateful Dead songs, along with some superior jams!!!   Dark Star was a highlight, and gorgeous rendition of Hard Rain's Gonna Fall late in the set.   All in the true Grateful Dead style with no holding back!   Phil did an excellent Bird Song with a Jerry reference (something like a bird withing in HIM sang) and again, a super sweet jam in it.  They were opening up the flower several times this show, it was not canned for audience enjoyment it was truly them playing their hearts.     Charlie and Jeff did a fine job of filling those parts.  Charlie played Mandolin and Mandola/Lute during some of the songs which was cool sometimes, but harsh others.  Closed with Phil's organ donation speech (thank you Coty) and then closing with a rousing US Blues. 

The interesting thing was the percussionist had no Kick drum.  If you heard low tones (and we did often :) )  it was coming from Phil and no place else.  Dream Fyre is an excellent sounding instrument!  Case Closed!   The show was very Grateful Dead, the Phil and Bob connection is still very apparent. 

Last, I was in line to buy a shirt and when I got to the counter they had few shirts and pins with any dates on it.  It was nice to realize this was a very very short tour, and I was finally here to see one.  I missed all the Jerry and Bob tours back in the day, so it was great to catch a short one!

In closing, ticket scalpers suck.  My tickets were overtly expensive after fees and whatnot.  Seeing this show made it worth it, as I know these events are in limited supply at this point. 

Now, on to Dead and Company at Alpine in June!!!   Hope this review is taken with a grain of salt, and a tab of....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:13:53 PM by paulman »