Author Topic: I need some input.  (Read 149 times)

Zut8083

I need some input.
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
Hey, Alembicians,

Like I said, I need some help finding a D.I. to USB 3.0, or equivalent, interface for data transfer to be read by recording software or for playback from a computer.  My wife and I are moving from our present apartment to a new place atop a bunch of buried chemicals and munitions at a reclaimed military housing site/Pet Cemetery, and I want to start putting things together in a neat enough bundle and scheduling the completion of a fairly serene place to play, goof around, and practice.  That said, I have a couple of amps/preamps that I want to feed into something that effectively serves as a DI junction box with a fast USB connection to the computer, being recognized by recording software or playing out of the computer to decent(ish) home amplification or headphones. 

I've seen a number of gadgets that accept XLR and high impedance 1/4", but, although I may be wrong about this, the XLR female adapters seem to lead to preamp circuits, which are not necessarily necessary.  As the DI would be coming from the preamp stage of my amps, I don't think it needs any further signal amplification/modification, nor do I think I want further signal coloration.  While I can get male XLR adaptors that connect to adapters for 1/4", and then solve the problem via that connection, obviously the jury rigged XLR->1/4" adapter that I once had built for that purpose from the ghost of RadioShack added a lot of clunk to the signal path and dampened the sound registered by the computer.  I would like to avoid that as it sounds like an old, mistreated transistor radio version of the output.  Any suggestions of a well built, functional product that solves this problem would be most welcome.  Thank you kindly.  Cheers.

-Zut

David Houck

• club
Re: I need some input.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
I use the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen Audio Interface.  However, it uses USB2, not USB3.  But it's worked very well for me; and a lot of other musicians use it to record their instruments direct to DAW.

Zut8083

Re: I need some input.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks, Dave; I will look into that make/model.  Cheers.