Author Topic: alembic tech in philly area?  (Read 528 times)

drewphishes

alembic tech in philly area?
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
anyone know of anyone?

seen a couple local techs but not alot of people who have worked on alembics

JimmyJ

• club
Re: alembic tech in philly area?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
Can you tell us what you're looking to have done?  Some things - like the electronics - are Alembic specific, but things like fret work can usually be handled by a pro repair guy.
Jimmy J

JimmyJ

• club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
Oh, sorry, just saw your other thread.  Ask around for the best fingerboard guy in your area to help you with your fret work.  Wish I knew somebody there but I don't...
Jimmy J

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
The best tech in the Philly area, and the ONLY guy who works on my Alembics anywhere except the folks at the Mothership is Dana Sutcliffe at DS Sound.   He is in northern Delaware, just off I-95 (30 minutes from Center City).  He is very experienced and knowledgeable, and turns around stuff pretty quickly (usually less than a week for a typical setup).  A good guy who does great work.  If look at his web page you will see my ultimate endorsement: the cherry sunburst Series II that floats by is mine.   Feel free to mention my name if you contact him.

drewphishes

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
great! I will contact him.  I live in DELCO so hes actually close to me!

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »
Drew - my name is Steve Wood.  Feel free to mention me to Dana.  He's a good guy.

drewphishes

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
I sent him an email and he already got back to me! thanks steve and thanks for the TB comment as well

drewphishes

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:54 AM »
steve I just dropped it off with dana this morning.  Seems like its def in good hands, def a bit more $ than other techs around but it seems like you get what you pay for because he knows his stuff! cant wait to have it back!

moongerm

• club
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
Good to know thanks for sharing Steve!

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
Living in Nashville, like NYC or LA, I have no shortage of qualified techs.  I lived other places that it was not so easy.

But, wherever you are, there are good players relying on their axes for a living.  So I always recommend find the guy that the REAL players in your neck of the woods use, and after you've done your due diligence, go see him.  This always worked for me when I've lived elsewhere and never failed.

BTW, in Nashville, I can totally recommend the Classic Ax (www.classicax.com) for anything and everything.  Greg's shop is right in the heart of Music Row, and he does everything for nobodies to somebodies, great work.

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 06:27:40 AM »
Hey Drew, just wondering how things went with Dana?  No question that he charges more than the typical tech, but that's because he can - you get what you pay for when it comes to skill.  Give us an update when you can!

drewphishes

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:18:42 AM »
should have it back by the weekend and I am sure itll be in perfect shape will let ya know

drewphishes

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 07:39:54 AM »
steve! thanks so much. dana has that bass singing.  He was a cool guy and did great work.  I don't think id bring him any old p bass or jazz bass but wouldn't let anyone else touch the epic after the way he brought it back to life!

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
Drew:
That's great!  I picked up a bass from his shop last week and saw your Epic while he was working on it.  Beautiful bass!  Really like the top - walnut?  Glad you were satisfied with Dana's work - he really is great! 

drewphishes

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
still waiting on the serial number to be run to know for sure, looks like walnut or bubinga tho I would say