Author Topic: A materials science question pertaining to luthiering.  (Read 232 times)

Zut8083

A materials science question pertaining to luthiering.
« on: February 19, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
Hey, guys,

I have been mulling over a potentially inane idea for a few weeks as a thought experiment, and I want to ask the forum if anyone knows if the idea could actually be feasible, and if so, why it isn't more commonplace.  Earlier this month, I saw a Youtube video of a Japanese hobbyist showing how strong Lignum vitae is, where this hobbyist made a rudimentary chef knife that chopped vegetables and showed that the would could be cut, shaped, and finished to hold a basic edge when sharpened on a 30,000 stone and stropped (I don't know which of the two related species it was, guayacan or argentine). 

Here's my question: despite some difficulty in shaping or gluing some of these ironwoods, can they potentially replace traditional steel or carbon fiber components in a bass or a guitar, like tuners, the trussrod(s), or the reinforcing bars?  I have read that certain ironwoods can make fine fretboards, but they can be dead or brittle, tonally, when used to construct more of the instrument.  Perhaps these woods could also lend utility as laminates in neck-through construction?  This use of wood outside the instrument's electronics compliment makes me wonder what a nearly all wood guitar/bass would sound like in comparison to the sound of a standard, "mostly wood", construction (e.g. metal tuners, bridge, saddles, tailpiece, nut, frets, truss rods(s), reinforcing bars, the mounting hardware, etc. other than the strings or the pick-ups/wiring). 

Thanks.

Zut8083

Re: A materials science question pertaining to luthiering.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
I also meant to post this earlier for the pure "AH!" feeling of watching some A-Team ingenuity with Dan Erlewine and company to electrically clean ferric schmutz off your guitar's plating.  It's pretty cool to watch.  Enjoy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhFCuXBIUc

funkyjazzjunky

• club
Re: A materials science question pertaining to luthiering.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
cool