Author Topic: Alembicized Guild M-85 II  (Read 697 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Alembicized Guild M-85 II
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »
Based on what you report, I believe Keith is correct... it sounds like a resonance dupe. A little extra mass might correct it or at least move it 'out of the way'. Just to further eliminate geometry problems, take a very close look at the trueness of the fingerboard right there... look for any noticeable groove. Use a credit card and backlight with small flashlight, see if there's any unusual relief there. Believe me, it doesn't take much on a fretless.

On those saddles, that one does look like a replacement... actually, it looks like ebony against the obviously rosewood one next to it. I would think any competent luthier could make suitable replacements for those. Shoot, I'd be willing to try if you sent me a couple to go by. That said, if you have metal (brass?) replacements, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. A black or brown Sharpie pen will keep you in stealth mode.  ;D

~Gregory (who freely confesses to be a loothier...)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
Based on what you report, I believe Keith is correct... it sounds like a resonance dupe. A little extra mass might correct it or at least move it 'out of the way'. Just to further eliminate geometry problems, take a very close look at the trueness of the fingerboard right there... look for any noticeable groove. Use a credit card and backlight with small flashlight, see if there's any unusual relief there. Believe me, it doesn't take much on a fretless.

On those saddles, that one does look like a replacement... actually, it looks like ebony against the obviously rosewood one next to it. I would think any competent luthier could make suitable replacements for those. Shoot, I'd be willing to try if you sent me a couple to go by. That said, if you have metal (brass?) replacements, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. A black or brown Sharpie pen will keep you in stealth mode.  ;D

~Gregory (who freely confesses to be a loothier...)

I haven't had a chance to take a good look at the fingerboard - there was more wear under the A string which doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.

I've been playing it a fair amount with the new strings - it's addictive! Still having some tuning issues but it's partly because I'm playing along with old recordings which may not be at A=440 so I have to try and retune - easy enough if the tune is in E, A, D or G, but not when it's in F or Bb or something like that. It's challenging but fun!

So I don't think there is going to be any time soon that I'm going to take the saddles off - I should have ordered a set when the guy I bought the metal ones from still had them (a couple of years ago I think). It's ok though, I'm going to use them for now and probably won't do anything unless one cracks/breaks.

(Still haven't experimented with the Fat Finger - gotta remember to do that)

Just to keep a record, mostly for myself, I played along with some O'Jays tonight - It's Your Thing, Who's That Lady, and Summer Breeze. A couple of nights ago it was parts of Soft Machine NDR Jazz Workshop, of course James Brown - Hot Pants, Cold Sweat, Escape-ism - Sister Sledge - We are Family, Chic - Good Times-  that's all I can remember for now

sonicus

• club
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 03:43:36 AM »
I am excited about this Alembic Pickup and electronics modification . Congratulations !

hieronymous

• club
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »
I am excited about this Alembic Pickup and electronics modification . Congratulations !

Yeah! I'm enjoying it and excited for others to be able to upgrade from Sludgebuckers!

hieronymous

• club
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
Been meaning to share this - it's a picture from the auction from when I got the bass back around 2009:

As you can see, it had black nylon tapewounds and a red die for the pickup selector switch. I hated that die! Wish it still had the metal cap that was stock on these but have never been able to track one down.

I feel so lucky that I had the presence of mind to save all the pictures!