Author Topic: Hi.  (Read 373 times)

Zut8083

Hi.
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Hey all,

It's great to be here.  I just wanted to offer some respectful salutations to the members of this forum, and the people who curate it, before I consider opening my mouth.  Cheers!

Best regards,
-Zut8083

lbpesq

• club
Re: Hi.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:17 PM »
Howdy, Zut!  Welcome to the club.  You'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer spot in cyberspace.  Lots of friendly and knowledgable folks hang out here.  And we all love hearing about, and looking at pics of, Alembics.

Bill, the guitar one

Zut8083

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
Thanks, Bill! 

It's nice to be here.  I look forward to seeing what's going on and perhaps asking salient questions about Alembic history, guitars, basses, gear, and amplifiers, as the wealth of knowledge either in the forum or its administrators seems to be out of sight.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply, and hope all is well.  Cheers.

adriaan

• club
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
Welcome, newcomer. The wealth of knowledge in the forum is ever increased by new members joining, so let there be much rejoicing, Zut is here!

Zut8083

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »
Ha! 

Hi, Adriaan,

I should be absolutely forthcoming: I was here on the forum about a decade ago with a different account (pocket8), one whose credentials have unfortunately been lost in a Gmail account that became "serendipitously" so secret, as I forgot the username and password (smooth), so that I cannot either remember them or access my account here (real smooth).

I should state now, that I am sorry if the choice to tersely introduce myself seems to be disingenuous, but, truly, I didn't expect the overt welcome to the Forum, so I now spill my beans to avoid any further confusion.  Again, my apologies if the simplified "Hey!" of an introduction and salutation to the group breaches decorum by not having citing my now inaccessible original handle.  Unfortunately, I can barely work a Speak and Spell, and I think/know I was really annoying back then.

And, I must admit, amusingly, "Zut is here!" reminds me very much of the prompt of "Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the Destructor, Volguus Zildrohar...THE TRAVELER HAS COME."  I am not sure if that makes me a Czech supermodel in a shiny costume or a marshmallow sailor, but it brought a broad smile to my face.  Which the cat then decided to start to lick profusely; my apologies for any typos. 

Thank you for the cordial welcome, all, and again, I hope the new name has not caused any trouble or been interpreted negatively.  Thank you.  Cheers.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Well, okay... that has to be the most original introduction post here in a while.  ;D

Now that I know you're not a Nigerian Prince with millions needing to be claimed... Welcome Zut!

Zut8083

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »
Hi, edwardofhuncote,

I am glad, then, that things have seemingly been pretty well received regarding this "Zut" individual, and that I am not yet in hot water.  It is rather nice to return to this interchange of information and ideas of things Alembic.  Thank you.

And my apologies for the unorthodox, stumbling introduction.  I hope it to be my last last gaffe in the forum.  Cheers.

-Zut8083

edwin

• club
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
Welcome. And I wish I could certain that my last gaffe is behind me, but I know it's not. We're all family here!

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
<snip>
And my apologies for the unorthodox, stumbling introduction.  I hope it to be my last last gaffe in the forum.  Cheers.

-Zut8083

Zut,
Apology not required, I read nothing that was rude or mean spirited.  I also have been known to open my mouth (or type) prior to engaging my brain - as mentioned this is a true Community that is respectful, kind and generous with helping others. 

You are eloquent with the written word and seem to enjoy it... Do you do any writing as a hobby?
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

Zut8083

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:42:51 AM »
Hi, pauldo,

Thanks for your comment.  I actually am not a huge fan of the written word.  I can write tersely in the context of two decades of scientific exposition, with all associated hoop-jumping on paper associated with being a jaded person with three degrees in associated fields and then seeing those fields dry up.  This isn't me bragging, asking for sympathy/pity, nor saying "harump, HARUMPH!" as it is obviously more a person who represents themselves, not their paper-based credentials that matters in being effective at life.  But during the road I chose to hoe, and reading peer-reviewed literature as required, writing drafts of papers, and a sluice of emails, reports, presentations, theses, dissertations, and research updates, etc., I am now, actually, far less of a fan of writing, especially clearly and tersely, than one might think.  Thus, I pepper in trying to amuse myself along the way. 

I understand that some folks find it onerous to read, and I encourage them to give up and stick to other posts.  If I have to tip toe around describing some complicated issue, and I want to be lay that bag of snakes out straight at the outset, a situation arises that mimics a renouned Davis/Coletrane interchange:
Davis-"Hey, man, why does it take you so long to play all of those notes?!"
Coletrane-"Because it takes that long to get it all in!"

I am not as good, by FAR, as these Titans at music or anything else,.but the collision of their opinions reflects to some degree how I choose to write non-professionally, and without excess profanity.  Hence, that creates the (un)necessary mess that you read, that others find pique to even look at (past experience out the wazoo), and which I encourage others to consider ignoring unless they really wanna read what I have to say.

So, that's the long version of "no, I don't enjoy writing, but it is a necessary evil, so I yammer and make weird [sometimes annotated] references along the way when I can to amuse myself; I don't reccommemd anyone read what I say unless you really have to".

But, I do appreciate your kind words.  Thank you.  Cheers.