Author Topic: Phil Lesh got another new Alembic?  (Read 682 times)

mica

• alembic
Re: Phil Lesh got another new Alembic?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
It's not exactly experimental, but it's extremely expensive at the moment because pretty much just dad can make it. We may revise it before offering it in general. Also, it's not a direct retrofit - the bridge block is larger and requires a bigger routing.

sonicus

• club
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
Mica , Thanks for the explanation and answer . I enjoyed viewing and admiring the precision engineering of this new bridge :)

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
Definitely an amazingly beautiful bridge, hard not to be impressed with the concept and engineering. Was this an idea that Phil had and requested or something Ron had in mind already, or was already developing, that was offered to Phil?

mica

• alembic
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
Phil requested the individual string heights, as he is pretty much always experimenting. Sometimes he wants a VERY small adjustment, and so we set about coming up with a way to make our flavor of bridge with the individual adjustments. His string spacing is very tight - this would have been MUCH easier on a classic or comfort taper! We also figured early on that we didn't want to introduce springs in the design.

This was custom made for Phil - who doesn't mind thinking a bit before making an adjustment. I can see that this might be hard for anyone besides and experienced Alembic owner to tackle. Just like the pickups, you can tilt the individual bridges, which you may or may not want - but you're not protected from it. The retrofits on Balerion and Khaleesi will have an overall height adjustment as well as they have wider bridge blocks to begin with.

moongerm

• club
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
Incredible bass and bridge engineering! The icing on the cake would be to also add back in the overall bridge height adjustment as you mentioned Mica. Very cool!

sonicus

• club
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
One word comes to mind regarding this new unit : Exemplary :)

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
Whoa - wait a minute.

If I understand correctly, what Mica is telling us is that Ron (Dad) is not only an electrical wizard but also a high-level machinist?   Seriously that is a craftsman job done on that bridge, sheer beauty that makes the viewer want to touch it, much like the gorgeous bodies of these instruments.  BRAVO!

*mind blown*

1984 Distillate Zebrawood

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the extra details Mica!

Also think an overall bridge height adjustment with individual saddles that can be fine tuned would be awesome...

s_wood

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
Contrary view: I’ve always thought that the standard Alembic bridge was brilliant precisely because it doesn’t permit individual string height adjustments. Less tweakable, for sure, but for me more usable - and quickly - as one can vary string height in literally seconds. And, after all, the curvature of the fingerboard doesn’t change. As in all designs there is a balance between variability and simplicity. I also understand that players who switch to exposed core strings or radically experiment with string gauges may not agree, so in a perfect world Alembic would offer both. For me, though, the existing design is the perfect compromise between ease of use and variability.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
I think the adjustable string height would come in handy particularly with five or six string basses where the height needed to accommodate the low B thickness and greater arc when vibrating affects some of the remaining strings (especially the E and A). 

Zut8083

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
This story just gets cooler and cooler.