Author Topic: Ivory contained in Alembic instruments.  (Read 242 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Ivory contained in Alembic instruments.
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:48:32 AM »

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the recent news in the UK. But it seems the government are about to get extremely strict about the trade in ivory and goods containing ivory. It is not in law yet but it's probably gonna be law real soon. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43620012

From a personal point of view my concern is that my Magic Dragon (below) which contains reclaimed ivory which according to the web site would not fall into the Extraordinarily important classification. This would make it difficult for me to sell on in the future. Unless for example I was able to get a skilled inlay artiste to remove and replace the ivory with something less endangered.

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_dragonmagic.html

At the moment I have no plans to sell it but who knows what I may feel in the future as my music life is more bass centred these days.

From the article both the USA and China have strict laws in respect to the trade in ivory so I am interested if anyone here has

had any experience with any authorities when they have bought or sold a musical instrument with ivory contained within it. I do recall a reference to this came up in a brief conversation with Mica not long after I bought it and she did indicate that I would need to take advice if in the future I decided to sell the guitar to a buyer outside of the UK or travel outside the UK with the guitar.

:-\ :-[
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:54:24 AM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Ivory contained in Alembic instruments.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Hmmm. It never occurred to me before your post Jazzy, but I use recycled ivory (from piano keys) in my shop all the time, mostly for inlay or shims. Dad and I have made at least a half-dozen banjos completely inlaid from it, at least one of which is in Japan. Got this buddy who does piano tuning and repair... every so often he just hands me a bag of the stuff. No idea how I'd ever prove that.