Author Topic: Bass rig is so important to getting the right sound!!  (Read 492 times)

jwright9

Re: Bass rig is so important to getting the right sound!!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:49 AM »
As for Behringer stuff; walk away...there is a reason all the Behringer stuff sells cheap when used; only suckers buy it new, and gamblers buy it used...hoping it'll still work.

Well said. That may as well be their company motto!

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
The most hit-me-right-between-the-eyes comment / suggestion I ever read here in the AC was Mica's observation that (Your Instrument = [bass guitar + amp/speakers]).

Either exists in a silent vacuum without the other, and together it's either magic or a big Not Right.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:40:08 PM »
Glad the Barefaced stuff is doing it for you.  My One 10 still is.
Funny stuff, bass rigs.
I started with a Linear Conchord, then a Fender Bassman and an Acoustic 360.
I used Trace for years and years - virtually every combination but never nailed the Graphic Equaliser.
EBS was good but heavy.  The small Gallien-krueger Mb200 combo was so bad for me that I took it back to the shop the next day!
Mark Bass never worked for me (too boxy) and Ashdown wasn't bad but I heard bad reports at the time of reliability.
The Bergantino HD112s I still have are superb.
Amp wise, I just have the GenzBenz Streamliner 900 and Genzler 350 - both superb.
TC Electronics, as you know, is used by Mark King and probably suits the slap part of his style (he is one of my all-time heros....I can't slap at all or sing at the same time as play!!)  I tried it in shop but found it a bit thin.
I think I am settled now.
Glynn

After a recent dep gig when packing my BF Cab into my smart car, one of the band members commented on how it was hard to believe I could get something that put out that much sound into the back of a smart car! 
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
Barefaced are becoming very highly regarded, excellent cabinets from what I gather.  Here's a link of Jazzy's cabinet, I gotta admire a builder that lists 'pistonic sensitivity' on the spec sheet !

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Big-Twin-2.htm

moongerm

• club
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »
In my experience the power amp plays such a crucial part including pairing it with the right speakers. I have tried so many options/combinations and have settled recently on using the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro (as a stereo power amp only) paired with my favorite preamps (interchangable: Grace, Alembic, or the Helix) along with the Ampeg Pro NEO 15" cabinet and an Accu Groove 2×10 cabinet.

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
I'm going to a rehearsal at one of the local Guitar Center practice rooms - apparently they have a bass amp there but I'm really tempted to bring my GK MB-112 II rather than have to play through something crappy and inadequate.

Ended up taking my GK - left it in the trunk and used the Acoustic amp with the 8X10 (?!!) cab that was in the room - partway through I went and got the GK. One of the guitar players was psyched and thanked me - afterwards too he commented on how much better the GK sounded.

Twocan

• club
    • Bandmix Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »
I am a big fan of Markbass heads and cabs. They are known for their "transparent" sound, which is exactly what I want for my Alembics - an uncolored amplification of the Alembic electronics & wood. I use a parametric EQ from [SFX] sometimes to scoop my mids, but it does not add color.

I've often thought of getting an Alembic Pre + Power Amp (which I'm sure would sound even better), but with the amount of gigging I do I prefer the portability/ease of the small amp head + 2x10 cab.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:02:18 PM by Twocan »
1996 Elan 5 (Signature Elec)
1996 Essence 5 (Rogue Elec + LED)
1995 Essence 5 Fretless
1998 Epic 4

edwin

• club
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 06:27:11 PM »
I am a big fan of Markbass heads and cabs. They are known for their "transparent" sound, which is exactly what I want for my Alembics - an uncolored amplification of the Alembic electronics & wood. I use a parametric EQ from [SFX] sometimes to scoop my mids, but it does not add color.

I've often thought of getting an Alembic Pre + Power Amp (which I'm sure would sound even better), but with the amount of gigging I do I prefer the portability/ease of the small amp head + 2x10 cab.

Not to be needlessly contrary, but I've had the opposite experience with Markbass. All of their amps I've played have reminded me of Ampegs to one degree or another, which is to say, very difficult to get a completely clean, uncolored sound. It's a great sound for a certain tone and feel, but compared to a rig that really is straight wire with gain (Grace Felix into a power amp), it's very different.