Author Topic: Dropping a class D power supply into an Alembic preamp  (Read 427 times)

glocke

• club
Dropping a class D power supply into an Alembic preamp
« on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:52 AM »
Is this possible?  If so who would do it?

I know Demeter offers this with their VTBP-201S.  I own one of those and am contemplating on getting it done, but I've also wanted an Alembic pre-amp for a long time as well, so am just sort of weighing my options here.

Also, has anyone ever compared the demeter to an alembic side by side?  If so what are the major differences that were heard?

edwin

• club
Re: Dropping a class D power supply into an Alembic preamp
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Are you talking about a class D power amp? If so, it seems possible, but I would be wary of noise induced into the preamp unless they are well shielded from each other.

As far as Demeter vs. Alembic goes, I've found the Demeter to be thin and lacking character compared to the Alembic offerings. No matter what I did with the tone controls, I couldn't get the depth I'm used to. If I wanted to go that direction, I'd look into the Grace Design preamps first. They do the extremely clean thing much better and still retain warmth and punch. An Alix or Felix with a class D power amp would be a killer rig. In fact, I know it is!

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
On the main page, the thread title reads "Dropping a Class D p...."
My first thought, of course, was "Glad it wasn't tubes."   8)

Peter
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

glocke

• club
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
Are you talking about a class D power amp? If so, it seems possible, but I would be wary of noise induced into the preamp unless they are well shielded from each other.

As far as Demeter vs. Alembic goes, I've found the Demeter to be thin and lacking character compared to the Alembic offerings. No matter what I did with the tone controls, I couldn't get the depth I'm used to. If I wanted to go that direction, I'd look into the Grace Design preamps first. They do the extremely clean thing much better and still retain warmth and punch. An Alix or Felix with a class D power amp would be a killer rig. In fact, I know it is!

Yes, power amp is what I am talking about.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:38:49 AM »
For my rig, I've dropped my F-2B on top of a class D amp.  (Carvin DCM200L - stereo 100 watts/channel, 4 lbs.). Love it!

Bill tgo

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
I have the same set up as Bill and the Class D with F-2B works great (thanks for the suggestion, Bill)!

mavnet

• club
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
F2B into a Demeter Minnie 800 class D power amp. Works great. I've also got a Demeter preamp, but stopped using it for the same reason - just too clean and boring...

glocke

• club
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
F2B into a Demeter Minnie 800 class D power amp. Works great. I've also got a Demeter preamp, but stopped using it for the same reason - just too clean and boring...

hmmm..sounds like I need to check out an F1X or F2B.  Just looked at the Demeter Minnie 800.  Thats a small amp.  Do you have it mounted in a rack?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:54:36 AM by glocke »

mavnet

• club
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 06:26:24 AM »
If you like the classic "alembic sound" and what tubes can do, there really isn't any reasonable alternative to the F2B. The minnie 800 sometimes travels in my guitar case (seriously, it fits in the zipper case on my gig bag!), but most often in a small pedal board with alembic little power supply and a few pedals. I have a 2 rack space soft case i mostly use for F2b, or if space is really an issue, i have a small f2b (well, I guess it's a f1b - only one channel) clone pedal that sounds pretty good. I prefer the real thing, though.

Rusty The Scoob

• I'm New Here
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
Count me as a devoted F2B/Class D user, my main bass rig is an early 70's hand-wired F2B into a Crown XLS1000, it's an awesome setup!  I've heard a newer F1X (with crossover bypassed or disabled) into Crest's Class-D offering and it's awesome too. 

But they're hard to take on an airplane so I also have a friend building me an F1B clone in a micro-head package along with a single channel 700 watt Class D power amp.  And for looks and portability he's building the same thing in a Dual-Showman-head sized package to get closer to the looks of John Kahn's bass rig. 

He understands it a lot better than I do but I believe the difference between the real Alembic circuit and the pedal clones is the voltage at which they run the preamp tube, the pedals don't push it as hard... I think.

BSloan

• I'm New Here
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
Is this possible?  If so who would do it?

James Demeter would do it.  It would be an IcePower 250ASX bridged to give you 800 watts.
Any larger Class D module (ie 700ASC/ASC2/ASX or 1000 AS) would give you better sound overall, but would not fit in a single space rack enclosure.  Milk man sound has a nice little bass head called bass Half and Half that gives you the same basic fender preamp into a 700-800 watt class D power section also.  But it is only single channel.

You could always do like me scour the interweb for IcePower modules spend a bunch of time working out how to employ the myriad of options/connections the boards have.

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
We all know how good Alembic electronics are, and so if your goal is clarity and the ability to dial your tone, make sure that all of the links in your chain can reproduce your tone.  With that said, my big rig is a F2b, into a Sf2, into a class D power amp that I play through a fEARful 15 6 1, and fEARful 15 sub. With this set up I can produce just about any tone that you can imagine, at just about any volume needed, and do it with amazing clarity. The sf2 can almost tame the acoustics in just about any room you would ever play in!
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
14 Adamovic The Dark 5 single Cut
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

glocke

• club
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
If you like the classic "alembic sound" and what tubes can do, there really isn't any reasonable alternative to the F2B. The minnie 800 sometimes travels in my guitar case (seriously, it fits in the zipper case on my gig bag!), but most often in a small pedal board with alembic little power supply and a few pedals. I have a 2 rack space soft case i mostly use for F2b, or if space is really an issue, i have a small f2b (well, I guess it's a f1b - only one channel) clone pedal that sounds pretty good. I prefer the real thing, though.

I guess I'll have to give this some more thought. I really want to start using my 201s again.. First off, I didn't realize the Demeter Minnie 800 was that small and lightweight..If thats the case than that just might take care of my power requirements.

As far the F1X vs F2B goes, I like the idea of the effects loop and balanced line out in the F1X, but if the F2B is more "tubey" sounding thats basically what I am looking for.