Author Topic: Can't intonate B String - saddle maxed  (Read 328 times)

jwright9

Re: Can't intonate B String - saddle maxed
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 03:59:36 PM »
My recommendation is to take it to a professional and get a second opinion. Not to suggest that you are doing anything wrong or don't know what you are doing. Just take a step away and let someone else have a look.
Perhaps there is something simple being overlooked.

Or, as already mentioned, send it to Alembic for a spa treatment.

tomhug

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
My recommendation is to take it to a professional and get a second opinion. Not to suggest that you are doing anything wrong or don't know what you are doing. Just take a step away and let someone else have a look.
Perhaps there is something simple being overlooked.

Or, as already mentioned, send it to Alembic for a spa treatment.

This is eminently reasonable advice.

I would be thrilled if this out to be a PEBCAK error ("Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard" - as they say in my industry) - that's an easier problem to fix.

I will say, that I do my own setups on all 8 of my basses. I've built two of these myself. I've had professional luthiers complement me on my setups. I'm not infallible, but I've stood at the workbench of some pretty experienced dudes while they set up my instruments, and they did the same things, and followed the same procedures, that I do.

But you're right, a 2nd set of (experienced) eyes is a worth-while investment before jumping to any wild conclusions or courses of action.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Send your bridgeblock to us and we'll be happy to drill an extra set of mounting holes to the south of the original ones - would only take a day or two to turn around. This would get you playing better for sure.

tomhug

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
Send your bridgeblock to us and we'll be happy to drill an extra set of mounting holes to the south of the original ones - would only take a day or two to turn around. This would get you playing better for sure.

Thanks Mica,

I am going to have this bass looked at by a luthier in my area, just to make sure that I am not reading the strobe-tuner wrong, or making some other kind of foolish mistake. If he concurs with my assessment, I will send the bridge-block your way.

And if he doesn't concur with my assessment, I'll get to report whatever it was I was doing wrong in a (semi)public forum, which I will call a good "character-building" exercise  :-[