Author Topic: My first custom order!  (Read 350 times)

Eric1616

My first custom order!
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
Hi All, I've been a lurker here for a while, my posts have largely been limited to the For Sale and related boards.  But I wanted to share some great news -- I just finalized my first order for a custom-made Alembic bass (my three prior Alembic basses and Darling guitar were second-hand purchases).  I couldn't be more excited!!!

I wanted to make a bass that would be a "match" to my zebrawood Darling, pictured below.  My goal was to match the neck, body, and laminate woods, not the body shape (although I think the balance k heart omega body I chose is a nice compliment to the Darling body shape).

After an initial back-and-forth with Susan, I thought I knew just what I wanted.  Then I made contact with Will Gunn, and after some detailed communications (that man has the patience of a saint, and, boy, does he know his stuff!), I revamped the project substantially.  Although it is quoted as a "Rogue," as that's where I started, I don't think there's anything even remotely Rogue about it anymore.  Here's what I ordered:

Balance K Heart Omega body
short scale
Knob 4 peghead, beveled front and back
Darling neck package
Stanley neck profile
Side LED's (violet with red at 12/24)
Golden MOP oval fret markers
Bronze inlaid logo with golden MOP cloud (I was back and forth in my head on this, wasn't sure it was worth the money; but in the end I said, "what the hell" -- I really wanted it and I knew I'd regret not getting it!)
Hippie body sandwich (zebra top, purpleheart accent laminate, maple pinstripe, mahogany core, maple pinstripe, purpleheart accent laminate, zebra back)
Zebrawood top and back laminates
Continuous wood backplates
FatBoy pickup in bridge position
AXY neck pickup
"East meets west" electronics
3 position Q switch

SO, I guess now the waiting begins.  Mica, I'd really love to see the build as it happens, so if you have an opportunity to share some photos along the way, I'd greatly appreciate that!

Anyway, looking forward to discussing and sharing photos!

Eric.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: My first custom order!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
Congratulations Eric... as you've already discovered, Will Gunn holds the title of Encyclopedius Alembicus.  ;D

Much like your bass, my own Custom began as an Essence quote, but that was just a jumping off point... once the East-Meets-West electronics got factored in with a totally custom body and another headstock, it took on a somewhat unique identity. From the looks of your specs, our basses will be identical, at least electronically. Here's the Showcase Thread: http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=22859.0

Looking forward to your build thread!

Eric1616

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:55 AM »
Amazing looking bass, Ed!  Thanks for re-sharing!

mtjam

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
Congratulations, Eric! Sounds like a wonderful instrument in the works. I hope to join the custom order crew one day. Maybe for my 50th in a few years (okay, less than two). Can't wait to see your bass come together.