Author Topic: Educate me please... F-2B and F-1X preamps  (Read 196 times)

moongerm

• club
    • www.brianonbass.com
Educate me please... F-2B and F-1X preamps
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
Forgive me for being ignorant on this subject....

So we all know the F-2B and F-1X preamps are designed with the inspiration of the Fender Dual Showman guitar amplifier.

What I would curiously like to wrap my head around is:

A lot of folks, including myself use Alembic Preamps for Bass Guitar. What else makes Alembic Preamps desirable for bass (aside from the obvious flexible i/o and HP Filter additions)? Stripped down if Alembic or anyone took a Fender Dual Showman amp or any other warm tube GUITAR amp and turned it into a simple preamp how much different would it sound, what would be missing that it would not be desirable as a bass preamp? 

Also has Alembic ever deviated from the Dual Showman inspired design along with the tone control section as a custom build to give it a custom alternate preamp sound for bass?   

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:39:36 PM by moongerm »

adriaan

• club
Re: Educate me please... F-2B and F-1X preamps
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:57:28 PM »
As to your last question, you may be overlooking the SF-2. You have a point that none of them is a specific bass preamp, but that's just the point.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:04:12 AM by adriaan »

moongerm

• club
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:51:14 AM »
SF-2 aside Adriaan as that is such a unique device, as are the F-1X and F-2B.  What I am getting at is aside from speakers and power amps that are designed to support the frequency spectrum of a hi-fi bass, cleanly, couldn't a clean warm guitar preamp be a solution for bassists? 

This leads back to my question below where the Dual Showman is used, rare exceptions aside, mainly by guitarists.

adriaan

• club
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
Both he F-2B and the F-1X are clean warm guitar preamps that work perfectly fine for bass too. Just that the F-1X has a cross-over, that mosts guitarists would probably not use (like most bassists).

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
However, the F-1X has an effects loop, which the F-2B lacks.  I have both.  The F-2B is the heart of my regular guitar rig, while the F-1X resides in my studio's bass rig.

Bill, tgo

edwin

• club
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
Forgive me for being ignorant on this subject....

So we all know the F-2B and F-1X preamps are designed with the inspiration of the Fender Dual Showman guitar amplifier.

What I would curiously like to wrap my head around is:

A lot of folks, including myself use Alembic Preamps for Bass Guitar. What else makes Alembic Preamps desirable for bass (aside from the obvious flexible i/o and HP Filter additions)? Stripped down if Alembic or anyone took a Fender Dual Showman amp or any other warm tube GUITAR amp and turned it into a simple preamp how much different would it sound, what would be missing that it would not be desirable as a bass preamp? 

Also has Alembic ever deviated from the Dual Showman inspired design along with the tone control section as a custom build to give it a custom alternate preamp sound for bass?   

You can try any guitar preamp. No reason not to. It just so happens that the Fender preamp, which I think was essentially lifted and tweaked from a tube manual, works well. Some will, some may not, but unless the preamp has a high pass filter that loses the low end, there's no reason why it wouldn't sound good.

Interestingly, some famous bass amps, beyond the Bassman, have been used for guitar, including the SVT by the Stones.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »
The first amp I got when I moved to California in 1973 was a Vox Essex bass amp through which I played my guitar.

Bill, tgo