Author Topic: Series Bass to the PA.  (Read 385 times)

nemesis

Series Bass to the PA.
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Hello,

I have yet an other dumb question for the group. I have a gig coming up soon that I understand the "house" FOH guy likes to run everything through the PA. This is all new to me, as I have always just had my amp setup on the stage, with no additional PA support. So here is the chain of stuff. I run the Series Bass in stereo with the 5 pin cable, and a DS-5 power supply, to a F-2B, to a QSC GX7. The details are the neck PU out of the DS-5 "Bass" side to channel 1 of the F-2B to channel 1 on the QSC, to a fEarful 15/6. The bridge PU goes from DS-5 "treble" to channel 2 of the F-2B, onto channel 2 of the QSC, to a fEarful 12/6. All the F-2B inputs are on the front and outputs to the back of the QSC. I noticed on the back of the F-2B there is a "M" , I assume a mono?? output next to the outs "Bass" and "Treble". So.... How would one get signal to the FOH, if the dude doesn't want to use a mic, or 2.... Could the "M" on the back of the F-2B go to the FOH? Or Or Or.... I have always played this setup without FOH/PA support. I really like the sound, and obviously it has plenty of "Pop" for even a really big room. This is a good sized "club/bar" so unsure how to deal with a signal going to the PA Heeeelp!
Jon
ALEMBICS, LIKE FAST PLANES ROCK!

keith_h

• club
Re: Series Bass to the PA.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
I haven't tried as my preamp has a balanced record out that I use to send a pre signal to the board. If I was running sound I would prefer to use a DI box off the other DS-5 outputs direct to the board or in-between the DS-5 and FB2. An alternative would be to mic a cabinet but I would still have the pre direct in. If you have effects I would take the DI between the effects and preamp. Whether playing or running sound I would have a discussion and hopefully demonstration of the bass sound that is expected. The main thing is it is the responsibility of the sound person for how it sounds out in the house. Forcing them to only use the onstage equalized signal limits their ability to account for the house characteristics and make you sound as good as they can. It doesn't hurt to by them a beer or a cup of coffee either.   

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
Not sure that taking a feed from the mono send on the F-2B is going to provide the FOH with the type of signal that they would like to receive. Sounds like you would either need a stereo DI to put between the DS-5 and the F-2B, two mono DIs, or a mic for each cabinet. Either way the FOH would need to have two channels available on the mixing board to dedicate to your bass. It certainly couldn't hurt to try and contact the sound person ahead of the gig with your concerns and see what he can do to accommodate your needs.

moongerm

• club
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:27 AM »
A stereo DI for sure like this http://www.radialeng.com/prod2.php.

Another option is to use a stereo preamp DI like the Grace designs Felix as you can combine the stereo path to a single mono XLR. Now you are talking a grand.

If you want to save your money, use the house DI for the neck/bass pickup and have the sound guy mic your bridge/treble pickup cabinet.

nemesis

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »
Thank you for the ideas. I think I will try to talk with the sound guy in advance for any thoughts he might have. I do like the suggestion of having my own little stereo DI box setup like the PRO2D. Then I will have a solution for the future with me all the time. Great thoughts, and Thank you for your help! 
Jon
ALEMBICS, LIKE FAST PLANES ROCK!

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
DI should be fine, he probably has one but I would ask. I gig with an SWR amp that has an extra out (TRS) that can go right into the board. Sound folks can be your best friends but you don't want to piss them off. Good ones will ask you what you need if they have time.

edwin

• club
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
I've done this many times, with both a Radial stereo ProDI after the F2B and a Grace Felix after the F2B. Both sound great.

I like the idea of a mic on the high cabinet, too! Some FOH guys even take the stereo DI and mic both cabinets. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy!

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »
If you do get your own DI, make sure you put your name on it and keep an eye on it at the end of the night - not that the soundman would deliberately steal it, but it's an easy thing to get grabbed by whoever is taking down the stage at the end of the night.

I like idea of DI for the low end & mic on the cab for the high. Whatever the combo, if the soundman is on board you're golden.