Author Topic: after all these years  (Read 616 times)

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
after all these years
« on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
My friends call me Ron. That's one of the names my wife calls me. I've been a bassist since I was 14 years old. Played my first paying gig at 15 in a bar that no longer exists. I'm 68 right now. I'm not a bass collector, but I have a bass collection. I haven't counted them lately, but I'm guessing about a dozen: probably 10 electric basses, an acoustic upright, and an electric upright. I've also got 4 amps and about 10 different sized cabinets. All of my basses are 4 strings. I tried a 5er sometime back and was too inclined to play the low b as an e, an e as an a etc. -- just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I restrung a Kramer aluminum neck to drop tuned BEAD that I can keep up with most of the time. So yeah, I stick to 4 stringers. Nothing high handed about it (you know, Jaco only needed 4...etc.) I'm just content to play within my capabilities.
Just added a used Essence 4 string. I've lusted after an Alembic for years. Some of my heroes have owned Alembics: The Ox, Phil, and Stanley come to mind. I've never owned a hand built bass. Mine are off the rack stock fare so this will be a new experience in some ways for me.
I'm told that if I have any technical questions, this is the place to come.
The only social media I frequent is Facebook.
If you want to know more about me, my music and my life you can go to: www.ronliggett.com
Thanks for bringing me into your forum. -- RL

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: after all these years
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
Welcome to the Alembic Club, Ron... coolest place on the internet.  ;)

We love pictures around here, so when you have a chance, post us a few of your new-to-you Essence here in the Showcase section:

http://club.alembic.com/index.php?board=693.0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:08:30 AM by edwardofhuncote »

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
Welcome Ron,
 You'll find this is a great place to hang out,
...happy to have ya here!

Elwood

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
Welcome Ron,
Enjoy your new Essence, there is a ton of great info to be found here and if you have a question you can't find an answer to via the (new and improved) Club search engine don't hesitate to ask. Club members like to answer questions almost as much as they enjoy looking at pictures of Alembic instruments (hint, hint).

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
Thanks all!
Fed Ex just delivered my Essence. I was going to post a photo as an attachment but got a message about file too big. I've been on some other forums and I had to post my images online first in order to include them in a forum post. Is that the case here? -- RL

keith_h

• club
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
You can post a link to an image or attach the picture. You need to go into advanced edit to add a link which is found if you use the Preview button. Under the "B" text control button is the Insert Image button. Attachments are limited to 500KB to use the photo editor of your choice to reduce the size until it is 500KB or smaller. I use use Microsoft Paint for a quick and dirty way to do it.

Oh and welcome. 

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:54 AM »
Question:
The strap buttons on this bass look to me like Schaller type locks will work on them. Is that safe to assume?

keith_h

• club
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
Schaller is the default that Alembic uses for the button style strap locks.

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
thanks Keith!

liam wald

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Hello Ron.
Congrats!
I am a new Alembic owner too. We are about the same age. I am 65 and got my first bass at age 13.
I have owned my Alembic Epic for a little over a month and it has become my every day, every gig bass.
Absolutely amazing instruments!
Cheers,
Liam.

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
Thanks Liam. I almost bought an Epic. Nice basses! Had one located, but then I came across this Essence. I've got a number of bolt on and set neck basses. The only neck through I have is a Ric 4003. I decided to get an Essence so my Ric wouldn't feel lonesome :) (Not really)
I love it already! I know I'll be a happy camper with this bass! -- RL

the_home

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
Congrats on a long delayed indulgence (?). I am surprised that no one has warned you yet... Your first Alembic is (almost always) only your first Alembic. I found my first just over two years ago. Now I have ... more than just the first one. Different pickups, different scale lengths, different string count, same Alembic 'je ne sais quoi "
Essence 5; Spoiler 5(BigRedBass); Essence 4; Spoiler Exploiter 4; what's next?

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:56 AM »
Thanks home!
I have quite a collection of basses already. You may be right though, I could get spoiled on this one. My wife has been very patient with this indulgence. She has good reason. I don't collect anything else, don't drive fancy cars, don't have any affairs, don't drink, don't smoke, in fact, music is about the only fun I ever have any more! So she's been really cool about my bass obsession so far. I don't know how long her coolness will last so I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait if I want another Alembic. -- RL

nosimplehighway

• Ron Liggett's website
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »
Here's some photos for your perusal:

keith_h

• club
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »
I don't collect anything else, don't drive fancy cars, don't have any affairs, don't drink, don't smoke, in fact, music is about the only fun I ever have any more!

Just remind her of that when you are ready to get your next one. However I would change some of the wording. I think, "Other than when I'm with you music is about the only fun I ever have any more!" would work better. ;)