Author Topic: Looking for MK in Europe  (Read 309 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Re: Looking for MK in Europe
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
Nice set of basses. If I was in the market for one of those. My preference would be the 4th one on the list, the 5 string Deluxe,  and if it was a 4 stringer I was interested in i'd go for the second one, the 4 stringer from France. Both are coco bolo I prefer visually but that wood is also supposed to do great things for your bass tone as well as look good.
I'm sure mica is quoted somewhere on the forum for saying. "One of the nicest things you can do for an alembic is make it with coco bolo".

The thing is you know they are all gonna sound great but with a slightly different character and since you won't be able to try them all side by side you won't be missing anything whichever you buy. So you can pretty much decide on which one appeals to you visually if you want.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:30:40 AM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

goran

• bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:31:20 AM »
Thanks a lot for answer, I just found Series 1 that my friend is selling from 1976... Now I have to decide... And that one is cheaper than MK Deluxe 5.

alembics.... ahhhh

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Can you post a better picture of the Series bass? Hard to see the controls but it looks like the original pickup selector switch at the top of the lower horn has been removed/moved. I would ask the seller if there were any additional modifications done to the electronics. Also make sure that it comes with the power supply and cable. A new power supply and cable will add a lot to the final price. If you don't have the power supply you are going to go through a lot of batteries.

Out of the MK basses if you don't want, or like the look of cocobolo, I would go for the five-string with the Balance K body shape. It is one of the most ergonomically friendly of the Alembic body shapes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:17:59 AM by StephenR »

garth4664

• club
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:39:51 AM »
Hello Goran,

Wow what a classic. A 76 is a pretty early Alembic. If it plays well and your back is ok with the weight then no question, this is the one i’d go for. Looks like the pick up selector has been moved which is a fairly common mod.

Good luck,

Garth

acoustic1

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
How are you Goran,

Must agree with Garth,

when you get it in your hands, the craftsmanship alone will make your heart melt ,

But you must play it!!

if it says to you " Lets be friends"

Don't hesitate , you may never find another quite like it !!!

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
You should find out what is going on with the pickup selector and if anything else has been modified, and take a look inside the electronics cavity to make sure things look right.  Also play it and see if there is any excessive noise that might suggest the need for the electronics upgrade, which will add to your cost.  Also check it out to see if there are any cracks in the wood, especially around the heel and head.  Series basses are very nice, but make sure you evaluate the condition and factor in any potential repair costs.  And as mentioned above, if it is missing the power supply and cable, that will add to your cost as well. 

goran

• bass player Goran Delac
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:40 AM »
Hey guys thanks a lot for all your feedback, I got a new bass, so here it is!

http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=23500.0

alembics.... ahhhh