Author Topic: Ed of H gigs; 2018  (Read 516 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Ed of H gigs; 2018
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:54:25 PM »
Looking forward to another year of music and friendship, my extended family of musical friends held our first jam of 2018 yesterday... our fiddler has this incredible two-story log house with a wide open cathedral ceiling and loft. Perfect space for music to happen.  :D

I took along the fretless Distillate "Doc" for this one.

So between regular gigs wigh Harwell-Grice Band, and New River Bound, plus a developing classic country gig, and another blues trio, I'm hoping to chronicle another year with the Alembics here.  :)

Stay tuned...

rv_bass

• club
Re: Ed of H gigs; 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Looks like fun, Greg, hope you have a great year!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
Well, after the first three gigs of 2018 were cancelled due to weather and influenza, the long dry-spell finally came to a musical end this week. It had been two months to the day Thursday night since I'd played a paying gig, but a nice easy sit-down acoustic blues job broke the streak.  :D

Brian Muller and I play in Harwell-Grice Band and New River Bound together, but we got an opportunity to fill up the normally quiet Winter months playing as 2/3rds of an acoustic blues trio at this local craft brewer's unusual venue made from an old milking barn. Unfortunately, due to sub-zero temps and some mixed precipitation both January dates were scrapped, then the third member of the trio came down with the flu and cancelled the first one of February. Still not feeling up to par, he also bailed on this week at the last hour, but Brian and I rolled with it anyway.

This was also the first chance I'd had to try out this custom-built lowpass filter pedal in a live situation. (test subject was my fretless Renaissance 5-string) I'll have to say, while it doesn't have the same 'feel' as Alembic filters do, this pedal is a very effective tool for a specific purpose. I've gotten so spoiled by the intuitive nature of filter-driven electronics that it was getting hard to dial-in what I like to hear without them. Can't say enough good stuff about Josh Broughton either... great guy.

Then last night, I introduced the Harwell-Grice guys to my fretless Distillate "Doc" at Hammer & Forge Brewing Co. Note the framed picture in the background with the Pasteur distilling apparatus.  ;D 

It felt great to play with the boys again... we had a packed full house of hometown fans, which made for a great night.

After a good nights' rest, I'm loaded up again for a reunion show tonight with Acoustic Endeavors. It's supposedly our 25th year playing this show, but that can't be right. No way it's been that many years. No way...  ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:48:25 AM by edwardofhuncote »

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:40 PM »
Hey, don't talk to me about 25 years - I'll be 70 in May!!!  (And, THAT can't be right, either!!)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
Nice quilted maple on that one, Greg :)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
Last night, the historic Buchanan Theater in Buchanan, Virginia was host once again to Acoustic Endeavors. That show has become sort of a reunion/homecoming for us every year. They tell us it's been 25 years now, but I still ain't buyin' that. Anyway, after load-in and set-up I snapped a couple pictures of "Chain-Links" at the ready, and the fretless Renaissance on-deck. There's Jeannie of course, right behind my new pedalboard.  :D

I'd like to tell you all the show went off without a hitch, but it turned out there was one... a hitchin' actually; my longtime bandmates that started Acoustic Endeavors... they got married during intermission.  :)

There was a photographer there, (uhhh... that would be the guy with the camera in my picture. ::)) so maybe I'll get some live shots up later. Here was the scene on the ground.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »
Hey, don't talk to me about 25 years - I'll be 70 in May!!!  (And, THAT can't be right, either!!)

I hear ya' Growly... I seem to have entered into a bit of a denial phase as I stare down 49.  :P

Nice quilted maple on that one, Greg :)

Looks like a sea of fire doesn't it? La Mar Del Fuego... RT told me that one was built for the NAMM show expressly to show off that board. It was my very first custom-built bass, and (somewhat ironically) is what ultimately lead me here, by way of that quilted maple Persuader 5-string... weird sometimes how stuff goes. Anyway, I'm getting more use from it since this Broughton lowpass filter pedal came along.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:57:11 PM by edwardofhuncote »

David Houck

• club
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
Nice looking theater.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
Our semi-acoustic-blues trio (which desperately needs a catchy name... ::)) played at Sinkland Farms Brewing last night... after our slide guitar player bowed out last month for health reasons, we have now added a percussionist, Erik on the caj√≥n-throne. It worked out GREAT! Having someone else responsible for holding the timing together really freed Brian and I up to explore. You wouldn't know it from my bass-face here, but I was having a blast.  ;D

The soon-to-be-upgraded Starfire ran backup for my '81 Distillate, and Jeannie kept all the EQ's flat on my Acoustic Image/BagEnd rig.   :D

The Darkness shirt goes well with anything, by the way...  8)

David Houck

• club
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
Nice shirt!

adriaan

• club
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »
I second Dave's catchy suggestion for a band name, and add The Other Two.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 08:49:06 AM »
I second Dave's catchy suggestion for a band name, and add The Other Two.

Funny (slightly humiliating) story that goes with the 'name the band' theme...

We got there early and started setting up, and I noticed there seems to be a lot more people than usual. I figure it's probably because of the basketball tournament or something, and keep setting up. A few minutes later, the place is dang-near full. Downbeat is 6:00, and we're tuning up and getting psyched up getting ready to play for a huge crowd. I'm starting to wish I'd brought a bigger bass rig than my little practice amp. Even with Jeannie perched there, it'll be pushed to the limit in this room now.

So then this really attractive girl comes up to the front of the stage with a folding table, some boxes of stuff, and something that looks like a brass birdcage.

"Hi!" she says. "Are y'all the band?"

With all the restraint in me, I'm resisting a smart-ass 'here's your sign' joke... but I turn on the flirtatious musician's charm, you know... on the outside chance she likes 48 year-old bass players, albeit with very good taste in bass guitars. 

"Yes ma'am, that's us... can we help you carry something?"

"Nah, I got it." she says, just as sweetly...

"I'm just here to set up for the BINGO match... I'll be outta' your way in a sec." "Hey, thanks for playing for us while we take a break! You guys are soooo awwwesooome!"

A little more pride died at that very moment... but at least we didn't have to try to play while the BINGO match was happening. But I had an epiphany... and BINGO was their name-o.  ;D. Yeah... no, maybe not.   ::)

All kidding aside, it really did turn out to be a fun gig... the BINGO crowd was very cool to us, and we got a bunch of extra $$$ in tips on top of the booking, plus we got extended to play through May.   :)

Another update tomorrow on a gig tonight with New River Bound... local news story here: http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/7Four-Roanoke-476718163.html

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:50:51 AM by edwardofhuncote »

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
LOL...I had flashbacks of Bob's Country Bunker-

https://youtu.be/bryvnZYiIaY?t=1m24s

8) 8)

p.s. Was your little rig enough for the room?

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
LOL...I had flashbacks of Bob's Country Bunker...

p.s. Was your little rig enough for the room?

;D Those guys just couldn't catch a break.

Believe it or not... they do have chicken wire... just not for the stage. Sinkland Farms has guineas, peacocks, turkeys, even plain old chickens, right outside the barn. They also pasture a herd of bison there.

Yeah, the little rig worked out okay. I didn't even have get Jeannie to do her thing.... the folks that wanted to listen came up closer to us anyway. It all came out fine.  ;)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
After a midnight Waffle House run, (my post-gig chill-out routine) I came home and wiped out... still haven't loaded-in.   ::)

The St. Patrick's Day Barn Dance hosted by the Community Life Center at Bonsack Baptist Church was a huge success... we heard them announce afterward that the Addy Grace Foundation raised $21,500 for the all-access playground they're building.   :D

I caught a few pics of us at work and play throughout the evening. We had a special guest last night helping us out... my old buddy Ted McAllister (fiddler Caleb's Dad) joined us on rhythm guitar for most of the night. We had plenty of time to kill in the Green Room between soundcheck and start... and plenty of coffee! Brian never misses a chance to trade notes with Ted.

The Bonsack CLC is a pretty big room... this is the biggest stage I've been on in a while for sure, and it felt weird not to be in the cramped space we usually end up in. Ordinarily I'd never have room for a backup bass on stage with me, and simply wouldn't risk an accident, but it was wide open, and 99.9% safe. (3-log removal is good enough for me) I brought a little extra gear too, adding an Avatar SB112 underneath my BagEnd S-10D. That Acoustic Image Clarus II amp Jeannie sits atop has two speaker outputs, so I often stack them under it. This also makes a nice little shelf for Bill's re-purposed guitar pedalboard.  ;D

I'm tired today, but all in all a great time was had... and for a pretty good cause.  :)

Should have some Harwell-Grice Band reports coming soon, as their schedule picks up in April.