Author Topic: Chips/Dings on Instruments  (Read 881 times)

lbpesq

• club
Re: Chips/Dings on Instruments
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
First, I'd contact Fender to see if they would sell some touch-up paint.  If that doesn't work, your best bet for color matching is nail polish or automotive paint.  You first apply the paint/polish in thin layers to get the color right.  Then fill it with superglue and refinish the area.  There are lots of videos on youtube showing how to do this.

Bill, tgo

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 05:26:05 AM »
I try to keep all my instruments pristine but if any ever get so bad that it annoys me i will get them resprayed.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
I prefer to have a small one somewhere hopefully in an out of the way spot.

I once knew a man who would buy a new car.  He'd bring them home, take a big blade screwdriver, and make a decent scratch somewhere on the rocker panel below the doors, and then say, 'There, now I don't have to worry about a ding on my new car'.   I know the feeling . . . . .

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
For some reason I am not personally that attracted to new shiny stuff. I guess I just like MOJO! I would love to find a beat up old Les Paul that played well to gig with...
Perhaps I am just getting old!

glocke

• club
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 01:27:36 AM »
First, I'd contact Fender to see if they would sell some touch-up paint.  If that doesn't work, your best bet for color matching is nail polish or automotive paint.  You first apply the paint/polish in thin layers to get the color right.  Then fill it with superglue and refinish the area.  There are lots of videos on youtube showing how to do this.

Bill, tgo

Yeah, after looking at several before and after pics of touchups, I decided against it.  In every case the touchup was pretty obvious.

this poor bass.  I just discovered a ding on the back of the neck, 5th fret, opposite the D string. Small, but obvious enough to throw me off when I run my thumb across it.  I have no recollection of doing anything that would have caused it either. 

serialnumber12

• club
  • 1972#12
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 05:18:12 AM »
Been to Hell & back.
keavin barnes @ facebook.com

keith_h

• club
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
There is only one way to resolve this. Send the bass to me and I can obsess over it for you.  ;D

liam wald

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
... are heartbreaking and make me cry!

hankster

• club
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
Dings and scratches...well, we've all got 'em. Low ceilings, bad gig bags, small stages, etc.  The first one nearly killed me. But we have these instruments to play them - and we don't have the luxury of living in a ding-free bubble. Setting the Alembic aside, I have a few dings myself.

CaseyVancouver

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
Been to Hell & back.

Awesome!

Hey you have my gold thumb rest from my precision special (pictured earlier)
I want it back!

edwin

• club
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
Dings and scratches...well, we've all got 'em. Low ceilings, bad gig bags, small stages, etc.  The first one nearly killed me. But we have these instruments to play them - and we don't have the luxury of living in a ding-free bubble. Setting the Alembic aside, I have a few dings myself.

The truth! I remember playing a club (the infamous Tulagi's in Boulder) that didn't have a particularly low ceiling, but had ceiling fans hidden in the dark murk over the stage. While taking off my SI, there was a loud thwack as it went into the fan. The bass didn't even end up with a noticeable mark. Can't say the same for the fan.

peoplechipper

• club
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »
really all these instruments are the equivalent of painter's brushes; they are very fine brushes, but still a tool to an ultimate end. In that respect we all can be as respectful of those brushes as we care to be or not, but of course that brush is someone else's art (at the upper end at least) and they are long-lasting if we choose to take care of these fine tools...feel free to use this argument anytime someone asks why you have so many instruments! no one ever questions a painter on how many brushes they have!...or in my case how many files a goldsmith has; I had a luthier friend marvel at how many (150+) and I was just like "some of these are so obscure shapes that I use it once every two years, but when I need it, hours of grief are saved because I have it and don't have to fake a solution", or something like that...

glocke

• club
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 01:03:56 AM »
Fortunately you can't see the chip when Im playing.. ;)

Almost had another one also...someone knocked a mic stand over and it almost nailed this bass right in the front...

peoplechipper

• club
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »
nice lookin' bass, but how'd you get that bruise on your cheek and the green ear?...kidding of course, but those are some weird reflections!