Author Topic: Starting 2018 with Citrus Limonum  (Read 711 times)

mica

• alembic
Re: Starting 2018 with Citrus Limonum
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
I have been using the NOW Foods brand for years.

dfung60

• club
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
And, for the record, it might not be the recommended solution, but many years ago, I purchased a bottle of liquid beeswax/carnauba-based finishing wax called Gleivo from a German company called Livos at MacBeath Hardwoods in Berkeley.  I got it intending to use it as surface polish/wax, but it's a bit soft.   But I do like it on unfinished fingerboards - looks good, not shiny, you don't feel it.  These days I use P21 Concours Carnauba Wax on the painted/finished surfaces.  This is car wax that too expensive to use on a car(!), but pretty nice on a guitar. 

moongerm

• club
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
Is this what you recommend for ebony Mica?  https://www.nowfoods.com/essential-oils/lemon-oil

I have been using Orange oil based on an old recommendation but want to use what is highly recommended for ebony (Alembic) fingerboards.

Happy New Year!!

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »
I have been using the 100% Pure Lemon Oil from the health food store for the last 5 yrs now.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
I use lemon oil on Rosewood fingerboards, too.

Bill, tgo

mica

• alembic
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »
Is this what you recommend for ebony Mica?  https://www.nowfoods.com/essential-oils/lemon-oil

I have been using Orange oil based on an old recommendation but want to use what is highly recommended for ebony (Alembic) fingerboards.

Happy New Year!!

This is the one I get. I have used orange oil before, but I was able to find more data on the lemon oil at the time I was researching. I sometimes add a drop of orange just for the aroma... I admit it!

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »
I'm using the NOW one - think I picked it up at Whole Foods - treated the Stanley Clarke Signature2 at some point a few months ago (maybe the Autumnal Equinox) and have done so before - no problems.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
I would think that the orange would have slightly less high end tone than the lemon, and a bit more mid-high.

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »

I would think that the orange would have slightly less high end tone than the lemon, and a bit more mid-high.

That sounds about right, a slight shift towards the red spectrum  ???

BIX

• I'm New Here
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
I've been using Alisyn Fingerboard Oil for years - 100% pure synthetic hydrocarbons. Wood loves it! (it told me so  ;) ) Totally non-toxic as well.

1oz bottle for $7.00 - a small amount goes a LONG way. I know it sounds like overkill or voodoo or something like that, but I'm just lettin' ya know what I use. (I have no affiliation with the company whatsoever)

http://syntheticlubricants.aerospacelubricants.com/viewitems/market-musical-instrument-lubricant/alisyn-fingerboard-oil

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
Here's the Lemon Oil that I've been using. I purchase mine from Fresh Life. In addition, I'm going to try Mica's idea of adding some orange oil in da mix!! Thanks Mica!!
Right now here on the East Coast it's 13 degrees (brrr) it's EAGLES Weather! Go Eagles!!
Happy New year everyone!!

Chalie

hammer

• club
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
Right now in Minneapolis it's -9 F with a predicted low of -11 tonight.  That's almost cold enough to make your lemon oil freeze.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
That's pretty cold.  It's cold here too, but not that cold.  I went for groceries today, and when I left the store, the roads had iced over.  First and second gear all the way home, but made it safely.  I hope all stay warm and safe.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Moder Dave, I'll bet your driveway is quite challenging when iced over!  Glad all of you in the cold climes are doing o.k.  Cold out here is the 40's.  Freezing cold is the high 30's.  When it comes to weather, we in the Bay Area admittedly are wusses!

Stay warm, everyone.

Bill, tgo

David Houck

• club
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
Bill; you have a good memory.  I parked at the bottom, and carried the groceries up in two trips.  I've had adventures with that driveway iced over before, and don't care to have them again.  Driving home today was enough of a challenge; I was happy to walk the rest of the way.

:)