Author Topic: Starting 2018 with Citrus Limonum  (Read 712 times)

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
Starting 2018 with Citrus Limonum
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
Hello all!
It's been a while since I've been here! I'm going to start off 2018 by putting some Pure Lemon Oil on my fretboard, throwing on some DR Strings, and some good ole' Flitz on the bridge.I just love that aroma of lemon when I open my bass case!
Happy New Year & may we all have a 2018 filled with lots of performances!  Chalie Holmes

David Houck

• club
Re: Starting 2018 with Citrus Limonum
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »
A Happy New Year to you too, Chalie!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 03:46:09 AM »
Welcome back, Chalie!  :)

I need to give all of mine a good oiling too, now that cold and dry Winter finally got here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:53:05 AM by edwardofhuncote »

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
Good to hear from ya'!!  Happy New Year to you, as well.

wick5

• club
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »
I'm scared to put anything on the fret board after reading all the stories, pro and con, about oiling guitar necks.
(really not intending to start debate...ok, yes I am)

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
Pure lemon oil.  Four excellent reasons:

1.    Alembic recommends it. 
2.    I've been treating my guitars with it for around 15 years- no problems.
3.    It smells good.
4.    Alembic recommends it.

Bill, tgo

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
No need to Debate.....
Bill gave  the reasons.....
Unsure?......
Ask Mica!!
Badda Bing, Badda Boom!

wick5

• club
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
Have y'all read the drawbacks to lemon oil?  Silly question...I know y'all have.
I'm not on either side of the issue, but I'm still leery (sp.) of putting anything on it.
I'm scared!  Really scared!
Bass player A:  "Why don't we run to the car that's idling and ready for our escape?"
Bass player B:  "No, silly! Let's run to the open garage that has all the chain saws hanging everywhere!"

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Most of the anti-lemon oil info I've read was either from people selling their own product, or people using Lemon Pledge or other "lemon" products that were not true 100% food grade lemon oil.  The only potential problem I've read about that might give me pause for concern is the use of lemon oil on bound necks.  Some have claimed that the lemon oil can interact with the binding glue.  Since none of my Alembics have bound necks, and none of my Fender type guitars that I regularly play have bound necks, I don't have a lot of long-term experience using lemon oil on a guitar with binding on the neck.  Otherwise, it's the way to go.  Mica hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Bill, tgo

mica

• alembic
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
Every choice has tradeoffs. For me, what the lemon oil offers is replenishment of the heavy turpines that evaporate from the Ebony as it ages. This keeps cracks from forming. Some people are sensitive and may even get contact dermatitis from lemon oil, so those people should not use it. Will their fingerboards crack off their Alembic? No. Frankly even if you never oil your fingerboard you'll probably be okay if the instrument is kept where people like to be, but it will likely develop cracks at some point which are 100% repairable. Even with regular oiling, you will likely have cracks at some distant point in the future. 

I have heard horror stories about over-use of lemon oil that frankly would probably have the same result regardless of the the oil used. Most are with petroleum distillates with scant lemon oil for scent, but still, lemon oil gets the credit. No guitar wants to be bathed in the stuff!

However, I suggest you take care of your fingerboard with whatever makes you happy. If it's a commercially marketed fretboard cleaner - great if that works for you. If it's lemon oil, awesome, I know that stuff works well. If it's olive oil, well, I'll think fondly of our old friend Paul. Like to use lighter fluid to clean it up? Well okay if that's your thing (but stinky!). The important part is to inspect your fingerboard regularly and react to changes and little problems before they become a big problem.

Note that my recommendation for pure lemon oil is for conditioning the board. Only a few drops is needed if you do it once a year. Our fingerboard have no finish on them other than lemon oil, so you're free to use whatever works best for you.

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
And there you have it! Whatever you choose...just take care of your axe!
Post Script
Thanks Mica!

wick5

• club
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »
Mica, you always skillfully and beautifully cut to the chase.
Thanks for the input.  I bought a lemon oil product (comes in a small brown bottle) at a health food store.
The brand is NOW essential oils...100% pure lemon is printed on the label.
I assume this is an excellent product for the neck.
Anybody else heard of this product?

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
Yes, I've seen it, too.  My Health food store, currently out of Lemon Oil altogether...has been stocking "Nature's Alchemy".  (Same stuff!)

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
I use Boyajian Pure Lemon Oil.  A bottle lasts me several years, and that includes treating every guitar I sell before I ship it out.  A little goes a LONG way!  I get it on line.

Bill, tgo

dfung60

• club
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
wick5 - really smiled when I saw your post about the chainsaws.  Would have "liked" it if I could!

For those who didn't recognize it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs5FWIUqu20

No, not trying to sell insurance, just like the commercial!