Author Topic: iPhone Fingerprint recognition & Guitarist/bass players fingers.  (Read 376 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
iPhone Fingerprint recognition & Guitarist/bass players fingers.
« on: December 26, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
I have an iphone 4 currently and don't use the finger print recognition option to log in and out of the phone. I use a password. Has anyone found any problems with the fingerprint recognition system recognising your finger tips due to the wear and tear on them from playing guitar or bass?
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: iPhone Fingerprint recognition & Guitarist/bass players fingers.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
First off, I do not own an iPhone!!  It does seem to me, however, that the fingerprint recognition system is more based on your actual finger pads, than the playing tips.  I'm probably totally wrong, though!!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
Other than it doesn't always work, no problem.  Of course I play with a pick, so I don't have any callus on my right thumb.

Bill, tgo

senmen

• club
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »
Jazzy,
you will not discover any problems. 
Each persons personal fingerprint is always recognizable even although
you have playing wear to your fingers. 
Greetz
Oliver (Spyderman)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
You know, it's plumb creepy what technology can do now... and that's just the stuff we know about.

~Gregory (who has been on duty for the Holidays, in a room full of computers...)

David Houck

• club
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
I have the first and second fingers of both hands stored on my Android, and I've had no problems.  I don't have callouses, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
Oddly enough, after playing guitar and bass for almost 50 years, I don't have callouses. I just have fingers with no feeling at the ends.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
Great thanks guys. I dont have callouses either. But when i compare my fingertips to other non guitarists mine have more lines across the tips and i do find the touch screen seems more responsive to the fingers i dont use for playing so just wondered if the fingerpring system may also be fooled.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

David Houck

• club
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
If it's like the Android, and I would guess it would be, when initially mapping, it will ask you to press your finger down several times, each time moving the finger a bit before pressing, so that it can map a larger part of your finger, so that you don't have to be exact every time it subsequently checks your print.

eastcoastepic

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
It definitely is more the 'fingerprint sensor' than the fingerprint. I could not get my old Samsung Android phone to recognize any of my fingers, and I just assumed that it was the callouses causing the problem. I bought a new Google Pixel, and the phone fingerprint sensor works perfectly and instantly every single time, on both index fingers. The Pixel sensor is probably the best on the market right now.....
Chris
Correction: there is 'much' money to be made above the fifth fret....

peoplechipper

• club
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:16 AM »
This thread kinda gives me the willies...should we give our phones our fingerprints?! I don't have a cell phone so this does not apply to me but with all the data mining constantly around us I personally am thankful that there is no record of my fingerprints anywhere, yet.