Author Topic: Alembic article !!!!  (Read 189 times)

acoustic1

Alembic article !!!!
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
Re: Alembic article !!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »
Cool article, and interesting bass that the author has. Inlay at the first fret is unusual, but I guess they were still in the formative years when that bass was built.

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »
Very interesting. I asked Paul Reed Smith a few months back when he was in town here if an instrument sounded better as it aged, and he said he did not believe so. He mentioned the great guitar sounds Jimi Hendrix created with instruments that were then new, back in the day. I myself am not sure.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »
I think a wood instrument will change in sound as it ages. Whether it improves or degrades IMO is one of those subjective things for well made instruments. If the instrument is poorly made or not taken care of I think it is mostly degrades. 

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »
The fact that a new instrument can sound good is totally irrelevant to the question of whether a solid-body electric guitar or bass improves with age.   Most will agree that acoustic guitars improve with age and what's happening there is also wood and glue.  And Mica has more than once mentioned that it takes some time for the wood to learn that it is not a tree.

Also, my custom Further (2007) has a 1st fret inlay.

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_woody.html

Bill, tgo