Author Topic: Phil's Playing Style...  (Read 901 times)

cozmik_cowboy

• club
Re: Phil's Playing Style...
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
The one Phil Bomb I heard seemed to be intentional.  I think I have related this before, but what the heck - if an old fart can't repeat himself, what's the point of becoming an old fart?
Uptown Theater, Chicago, Dec 5, '79 .  the boys are cooking along on "The Other One".  At the point where, if Bob was singing, it would have been  "that's when it all began"  it was "beganWHAM!"  I mean, Phil hit this chord - no, that's wrong; I meant to say Phil did an 1/8-note rest then hit this ....CHORD!.... and I swear to you on Pigpen's grave, every single molecule in the entire freaking universe resonated!!!  The Uptown picked up the frequency so we felt it in the mezzanine floor - and they probably heard in Gary from the building reverberating to it.
It was truly transcendent.

Peter (who firmly believes that Lesh is more)
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
The one Phil Bomb I heard seemed to be intentional... <snip> ...I mean, Phil hit this chord - no, that's wrong; I meant to say Phil did an 1/8-note rest then hit this ....CHORD!.... and I swear to you on Pigpen's grave, every single molecule in the entire freaking universe resonated!!!  The Uptown picked up the frequency so we felt it in the mezzanine floor - and they probably heard in Gary from the building reverberating to it.
It was truly transcendent.

Peter (who firmly believes that Lesh is more)

Well... now at least I know what to do when I want to get the HGB guys' attention from back there in my spot...  ;D  (and I'll explain to them later it was in tribute to Phil)

Do we know for sure if they are purely spontaneous events, that weren't getting help from the FOH guys? I find this whole discussion fascinating!  :)

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
While Dan did dabble (way too much, IMO) in things beyond accurate reproduction of what they played, I don't see how he could have known when to do anything to enhance this; as I said, it was the only time I heard it, and I think Dan was at the board for every show I saw, so I'm going to say completely spontaneous & 100% the work of Mr. P. Chapman Lesh (I mean, do we really see Phil & Dan talking pre-show like "OK, Dan, I'm going to hit a chord at measure xx of the yy time through, so crank me for 2 seconds then."  "Got it, Phil - hey, are you coming on yet?  Bear really outdid himself this time!")

Peter.

Pogo

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
Yeah, I guess that'd be a tall order!  ;D

I was working the main board at a bluegrass festival one time while the hypoglycemic sound-guy was trying to get straightened out after some poor choices he'd made... anyway, he showed me how to 'stuff' the slider on Del McCoury's rhythm guitar mic just at the right moment for an effect. You could see Del grin from 100' away when he snapped a G-run.

Phil's a little, (make that a lot) less predictable.  ::)

Clearly, I have a lot more listening to do.  8)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:26:14 PM by edwardofhuncote »

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
Yeah - a guy I did sound for in 2 bands (plays pretty much anything that you don't bow or beat, but in those groups limited himself to vocals, guitar, sax, keys, flute, & mouth organ) has "Harlem Nocturne" as his signature tune.  He'd blow the Selmer and I'd ride the fader, reverb, & Space Echo, and together we did some nice stuff, if I do say so myself.  I can't imagine trying to doing that with Phil (who, I do believe, was the only one Bralove didn't do MIDI for; don't blame him a bit!)

Peter

Pogo

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »
We would have a good laugh when Phil would drop a bomb followed by the sound of PA speakers frying and fizzling out... ah the good old days :)