Author Topic: 1985 Custom Distillate (fretless)  (Read 562 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: 1985 Custom Distillate (fretless)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:02:44 AM »
To illustrate, here's what I'm seeing from a player's perspective, at both ends of the scale:

Give the Chromes a chance to mellow out...

Oh yeah, Growly... plenty of time. Besides, that's what they put that treble boost-flat-cut switch there for!   ;D

*at risk of over-analyzing this side-marker issue... I think what would help the most is if there were just one more bronze dot at the first 'fret' position. Just that alone would sure help 'spot the landing' on 8  notes that I use a LOT.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:18:01 AM by edwardofhuncote »

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
Can't say I didn't think of this before- but I didn't fully realize how dependent I am on side markers. This bass has bronze dots where the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets (and so on) would be. "Chain-Links" has white holly fret sidelines all the way down and bronze dots between them at those same places. It's a bit of a head-game. 

I may eventually have some more bronze dot side markers installed at each 'fret' in addition to the intervals, but for now, I'm just going to practice more.  ;D

Congrats on the new bass! (I know I said it at Talkbass but wanted to say it here too)

My Guild M-85 has dots that sound similar to your new one - I like it - the doubleneck sounds like Chains, except instead of lines for each fret there are tiny dots, plus the "regular" dots. I've never played out with it, but I think it would be hard to see since lighting is often less than ideal. My first-ever fretless was a Fender Japan '62 Jazz Bass reissue that had an unlined fretboard, and only dots where they would be on a fretted bass!!! It was so hard (plus I didn't practice anywhere near enough) and turned me off to fretless until I got the doubleneck.

I bet you will get used to the dots-only-on-certain-frets!

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »
I have dots only marking fret locations on my fretless and have no problem playing it. 

I have a fretted bass with LEDs at the frets, no dots in between, and it scrambled my brain.  I couldn’t play it until I added dots in between the frets.  Odd the way the brain works.

CaseyVancouver

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
The key to unlined fretless is practise ...and willpower!

I try to practise my fretless every day just like I bow my upright every day.
Some prefer unlined fretless. It works rather well for uprights, cellos & violins etc!

You may need to make a decision which of your awesome basses to take to a gig depends on the gig requirements. A sight reading gig on unlined fretless could be terrifying if you are not comfortable with intonation. The same bass on an easy jazz casual or acoustic country gig with no charts might be perfect.

Always good to have bass choices for your gigs. Super nice bass by the way. :)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
I almost don't want to post this, 'cause I don't want you guys to think I'm crazy, but here goes. After some experimentation with a little sticker where the 1st fret would be, I realized that was all I needed. Maybe because I am hard-headed, but I needed some reference point other than the nut to land those notes correctly. Even I can't believe how much easier it got. So what to do for a permanent fix? Turned out I had some tiny brass tacks in shop that were precisely the right diameter. I ground the head off a couple, and tried them in some scrap wood... perfect match.

Here's where it gets scary...  :P

I measured from the front of the nut to the top/center of the 1st fret on both of my other 32" scale Alembics, then compared that to the 1st fret sideline on my Custom fretless, also a 32" scale. Finding less than 1/64" difference, I figured that was close enough. Using a set of calipers, I marked where the marker needed to be, and... well... I put an extra bronze side dot in this bass. Trust me, you don't want to know the details of how. It involved a tiny drill bit, an equally tiny tack-hammer, a block of wood, a dab of super-glue, and nerves of freakin' steel.  ::)

I'm home... at least where playing in the first position is concerned! I'm off to do some more bonding. Like Casey says- "PRACTICE".  ;)

Before I go, here's a couple quick-n-dirty pics of the finished job. Can you tell the difference?  :)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Could be worse - I was afraid you might have hammered the whole tack into the neck!

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Oh, MAN!  (Time for some Jack...[Daniels, that is!])

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:01:43 AM »
I spent the rest of the evening at play. That one little thing solved the issue... can't believe something so simple could make that much difference but playing this one is effortless now.  :D

I seem to remember one time Mica said something about the advantage of having that first dot there, just because it was such a lot of blank space there without it - I sure see why now.  :)

Yeah guys, I definitely wouldn't recommend that DIY job to the faint-of-heart, but to make full disclosure, I mark the notes on upright basses all the time using this very same procedure. It's one of the more common options people ask for when I set up a bass. Mostly I was concerned with having the right size dot.  8)

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »
... :D ...... :) ...... :) ...... ;)

charles_holmes

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
Yummers! That's a really nice axe! But I'm biased!! Hee! Hee!