Author Topic: Well padded bass straps  (Read 1175 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Well padded bass straps
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
I have a number of Minotaur leather padded bass straps for a few  years now and they are all starting to fray on the inside edges and the padding has compressed so is now causing the weight of my basses to be focussed on a narrower strip of my shoulder and hence really uncomfortable for long practice sessions or gigs.

The most heavily padded straps i've seen on the market are the Gibson Fat boy straps which have a thick wad of memory foam but don't seem wide enough on the bit that goes over the shoulder. Has anyone tried them with their heavy alembics and if so what is the verdict? They are pretty expensive over here in the UK so I don't want to take an unneccesary chance on one.

I have been in talks with a strap making company here in the UK to develop a strap that offers more even weight distribution across the width of the strap for heavy basses like ours but they are taking a heck of a long time to come up with a prototype based on my suggestions and I might have to get something in the interim period before my shoulder gives up.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

keith_h

• club
Re: Well padded bass straps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »
I don't have anything for padded but I really would like to see someone come back out with the Fret Sling from the 70's. The S shape and width make it the most comfortable strap I've ever used. I still have one set up for my Jazz Bass but would like to get a couple for my Alembics.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »
Jazzy, sorry to hear those Minotaur straps aren't holding up to time and use... I really like mine. I have one just like yours I use with the Persuader 5-string, and another for my Distillate. When I ordered a third for my Custom Fretless, I went with this heavier padded model, and I can tell you there's a very noticeable, but not overwhelming difference. Hard to say for sure, because the Persuader and the Custom wear so differently, but if I had it to do over, I would definitely choose the heavier one again.

I'm interested to see what your contact there in the U.K. turns up. I believe there is certainly a niche' to be filled here. ;)

This is the one I chose for the Custom: http://www.minotaur.gr/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/111/osCsid/tag7fr24dlnb8unkala80rj3eo22j11m

The other two are pictured:

adriaan

• club
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »
I actually have this Minotaur strap that is padded and just 6 cm wide, not 10 - http://www.minotaur.gr/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/103/osCsid/tag7fr24dlnb8unkala80rj3eo22j11m

My Series bass is pretty heavy (haven't weighed it in, TBH) but I'm not sure it would weigh down on the shoulder any less with a wider strap.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »
Hi edward, I have the same one as your first one that I originally got for my series I short scale but decided to use it on my strat instead. The heavier padded one I'd thought hard about but I try to avoid straps with metal hardware as I don't want it to come in contact with the bass and plastics fixings I dont trust with a heavy bass.

But it doesn't have much metal on it so maybe worth considering.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »
Hi edward, I have the same one as your first one that I originally got for my series I short scale but decided to use it on my strat instead. The heavier padded one I'd thought hard about but I try to avoid straps with metal hardware as I don't want it to come in contact with the bass and plastics fixings I dont trust with a heavy bass.

But it doesn't have much metal on it so maybe worth considering.

:)

It's funny- I had the same reservation for precisely the same reason... I'm quite wary of any metal fasteners scrubbing against my basses. That one metal loop that connects both halves of the strap ends up in the the small of my back when I'm wearing it though. No chance of a scuff from that. Perhaps my one gripe is, the strap is so thick that it won't fold small enough to fit in the case pocket, so I have to just double it over, and lay it in the bottom of the case.

edwin

• club
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
For my '83 Modulus, which is heavy with less than stellar balance, I use this: https://smile.amazon.com/Neotech-8301052-Mega-Strap-Regular-Black/dp/B000P4FBQO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509665461&sr=8-4&keywords=comfort+bass+strap

I find it to make wearing the bass more comfortable than heavily padded straps.

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
Jazzy have you tried a 4" Moody strap? They are not padded, but the buttery soft leather really does a great job of distributing the weight on my shoulder. I have several of them and they work great for my heavy Alembics. For me they work better than padded straps.
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
14 Adamovic The Dark 5 single Cut
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
I hadn't bothered to comment since I have no suggestions for padded straps but agree with Darrell about the comfort factor with the 4" Moody strap. Fresh out of the box mine was the most comfortable strap I have ever owned, quality of the leather is amazing and after about 8 years no signs of stretching or fraying.

xlrogue6

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »
My favorite is the Comfort Strapp--thick neoprene over the shoulder, has just enough "give" to keep the bass from feeling like dead weight without being bouncy.
http://comfortstrapp.com/

moongerm

• club
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
I have been using Solo Strap Neo for my custom BoP and it has been working just fine.  http://www.gruvgear.com/solostrap-neo .  I don't have any shoulder fatigue after wearing it for long rehearsals.

They also have a leather version http://www.gruvgear.com/solostrap 

I am still on the hunt to find the perfect fancy strap (leather or otherwise) that takes the cake.

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 03:33:59 AM »
Brian have you tried a Moody 4"? They aren't fancy just extremely soft leather that distributes the weight evenly across your shoulder. I have tried padded, neoprene you name it and I've found nothing like it. They are expensive but they do hold up well, and in my opinion you get your money's worth!
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
14 Adamovic The Dark 5 single Cut
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

edwin

• club
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
Jazzy have you tried a 4" Moody strap? They are not padded, but the buttery soft leather really does a great job of distributing the weight on my shoulder. I have several of them and they work great for my heavy Alembics. For me they work better than padded straps.

I love these straps! I have an Alembic branded one and another. My Alembic one is 12 years old and has been subject to non-stop touring, being sweated through (nothing like playing when it's 115 in the shade), rained on, and generally abused and still looks and feels great.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:19:25 PM by edwin »