Author Topic: Scorpion 8 string  (Read 333 times)

1alex

• club
  • I'm New Here
Scorpion 8 string
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
i have an old hagstrom 8 from the 60's along with. Hamer 8 and custom hamer 12..all short scale

But none of them seem to be able to get piano type sounding notes

Not sure if it's short scale, or if it's string placement..octive strings are before bass strings
...I play the 8's with a pick.

.have tried new string changes.

Any thoughts...?.

I'm looking to find a used scorpion 8 or if needed..order one...

Again I have a few questions if Or before I order a new one
1) what are tone differences between long and short scale on an 8
2) what are most alembic 8 neck width profiles or do they always very...
3) avg of most alembic manufactured 8  string space dimensioning
4) does alembic ever place octive string below bass string?

I had played an alembic 8 once in the late 80's and I recollect the sound being much more piano like...I bought a 4 string alembic at that time , and was hoping to come back and buy the 8 ..but when I came back a week later it was gone... :'(

Hence the quest

[edited for unintentional formatting]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:30:48 PM by adriaan »

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
Re: Scorpion 8 string
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
Hey, I am an 8-string aficionado myself! I have owned a Tune, a Rickenbacker 4008, and currently only own a Rickenbacker 4003S/8.

My theory is that the "piano sound" comes from A) the super high-end coming from the bridge pickup, and B) the wonderful depth from the neck pickup, keeping in mind that Alembic pickups provide much wider frequency response than regular passive pickups. (Are your Hamers passive?)

One possibility with your current basses would be to try an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. Especially if your Hamers are stereo, you can tease out some high end and boost the bass.

I almost acquired a Series I 8-string several years ago, but it didn't happen, and now I'm out of the running. Good luck in your quest!

For fun, here's a shot of my current 8-string - can you post pictures of yours?

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
I've owned three 8 strings and a Hamer B12S. I'm currently down to just my Ric 4003S/8. The Ric is "almost" long scale at 33-1/4'', I had a Warmoth/Mighty Mite 8 long scale and a Kramer short scale. The 12er was short. I can't say for sure how scale length will affect the tone, as there are a number of other factors - wood type, set neck/neck through/bolt-on... I tend to think the longer scale instruments had more of the piano tone that you're looking for. Strings are a major factor as well. I also believe that the instrument should exhibit those qualities completely unplugged. Pickups, amps, and processing can help, but if it's not ringing out all on its own, you could be looking at a compromise.

1alex

• club
  • I'm New Here
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
The hagstrom 8 of course is an old one from the 60’s with passive pickups...but both the hamer 8 and 12 have active pickups (emg’) and the 8 is a set neck and it’s all black ( including the cavity) and has a single 9 volt battery  while the 12 is neck thru flamed maple top with 2 -9 volt batteries in the cavity

The hamer 8 is an older dual trus rod model/ short scale  with what I’m told has one of a kind chevron type fret markers ( not sure.just what I was told)

the hagstrom; in my opinion ; allows me to create a more grinder type tone which is cool on some songs...but on both the hamers ...even when using just the rear pickup..I can’t get a piano type tone

The hamer 8 neck is better for me than the  hagstrom..as the hagstrom is quite narrow at the 1st fret and string spacing is rather tight.

The hamer 12 is another custom ( I’m told) in that it’s short scale.... in that I only have used it on a song or two..is a mighty beast on the fingers if you don’t keep up on your playing on it...I prefer the 8 due to that...plus the 12 is more than quite heavy..buts it’s beautifully made..looks like mahogany body with beautiful flamed maple top ...it’s the model with a single cut away that looks like it has a sound hole in the middle...but it’s just to enhance the look

Will try to post some pics later..

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »
The chevron inlays sound like they might be what are called boomerangs. Those were an available option on Hamers. The 12er sounds like a B12A.

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
I dug up an old thread (in the old Club) with some pretty amazing multi-course basses:

http://alembic.com/club/messages/449/73291.html?1263216585

garth4664

• club
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:06 PM »
I have had a few 12 strings including a usa hamer chapparal. Nothing has come near the Tom Konig 12 as detailled on his konig bassworx website. This blue bass is really nice to play. He's now building me some 15 string basses that are one step further. Only luthier that can match the quality of Alembic IMHO.

garth4664

• club
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »