Author Topic: Fire in Santa Rosa .. and message from Mica  (Read 1548 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Fire in Santa Rosa .. and message from Mica
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 06:04:31 AM »
Well, the World got a little smaller - I never knew until last night when my Dad told me, but I have a 2nd cousin in Santa Rosa; his cousin's daughter. He was going to try and find out something of her where-abouts today.

5a quilt top

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
Here's a photo taken from the back yard of the Gables Wine Country Inn. The flames are +/- 2 miles away.

We stay at the Gables when we visit Santa Rosa and seeing this image is truly terrifying and heartbreaking at the same time.

Such a beautiful area - it is tragic that it is being systematically destroyed in such a violent manner.

Having lived through something similar about 12 years ago (large desert fire north of Cave Creek, AZ), I know first hand what it feels like to see a wall of flames about a mile away and be unable to do anything about it other than pray that it gets extinguished.

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
This is so sad. Love and safety to all...

pace

• club
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:21 PM »
I can't fathom the loss. Even with the brick & mortar of the mothership unscathed, the amount of devastation in the community must be overwhelming. Thoughts, prayers, and lots of love to Tony, his family, and your accountant... If there's anything we can do as an online community, Mica, please let us know!

mica

• alembic
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »
This is about the best map I've found that is at least updated regularly with details from several reporting agencies:

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/multimedia/7516058-181/live-map-of-wildfires-burning?ref=most

We are all still safe, and with the thousands of National Guard and firefighters and police from all around the nation (even some from as far as Australia!) here battling this blaze, we are hopeful that they will get it under control. It's not over by a long shot, but it's better than it was a few days ago for sure.

Hope you were able to check in on your cousin, Greg. Yes David, our beautiful county is deeply scarred. Everyone here is feeling the anguish and pain, but are pulling together and helping out. Keep praying for rain, Edwin - we hear it might show up in about a week. Michael, I'm going to keep the club posted about anything that can be done to assist those in need. Right now Tony's mom is staying with family in another county, and they will be figuring out a longer term plan shortly.

We still have friends at our place that were in the mandatory evacuation zone. Just learned that their house survived the fire, but they probably won't be allowed back in until next week sometime.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about the folks losses but that y'all are still ok. I understand needing some rain now but really hope you don't have a wet winter to allow the hills time to regrow and anchor the soil. 

David Houck

• club
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »
Thank you for the update, Mica, and for the map link.  Continuing to hold you all in my heart.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »
Yes, thank you for the update, thinking of you all, hoping at the very least the winds subside and humidity rises.

eastcoastepic

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
Prayers & positive thoughts from the east coast to you all out west, stay strong.........
Correction: there is 'much' money to be made above the fifth fret....

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »
So glad to hear you guys are all OK.  I've spent most of this late summer early fall worrying about family in Texas dodging and surviving Hurricane Irma:  My niece lives in Houston, fortunately in a 2nd story loft with parking on the same floor (so she was OK) and her mother (my sister) lives in my hometown of Beaumont, TX, the place you may remember lost all water service (in the middle of a flood, there's a country song in there somewhere), and their home stayed dry.  Now I'm sweating fires on the left coast.  Geez, will I be glad when things settle down.

All the best to the Alembic family, and I'm thinking of you guys constantly.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
Glad your family is okay, Joey.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2017, 05:27:38 AM »
Also very relieved to hear at least the 'Mothership' has been spared. I'm not somebody that ever even watches television casually, but this past week has changed that trend somewhat. This has to be one of the worst years ever for natural disasters.  :(

The only way we have to contact Dad's cousin is by email, which so far hasn't yielded any information. I can't help but think Internet service is sketchy if available at all right now, but we'll know more as the smoke clears. (literally)

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2017, 06:03:32 AM »

The pictures have me speechless.

I'm thinking of you all too, all the time.
Hopefully the rain dances kick in soon.
It'll be good to think of you all, just most of the time  :-*

Jsn

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
This has been devastating to all of us in the North Bay. So glad to hear the Alembic family is all right.

theneighbor

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
As a youth, I saw my great uncle's home destroyed by some careless folks with fireworks. I've ridden out several hurricanes, Matthew hit us particularly hard, but the amount of devastation and loss from this has me speechless. I had no idea of the extent of it's impact until seeing videos the other day. It's comforting to know you all remain safe and am thankful that you have taken the time to keep us informed of your well-being. I feel for all you are going through and will continue to keep you in thought and prayer. Please continue to be cautious and stay safe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:41:04 AM by theneighbor »