Author Topic: Alembic #001 Rick Turner rennovation  (Read 1733 times)

moongerm

• club
Re: Alembic #001 Rick Turner rennovation
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:50 AM »
Jazzyvee, non Alembic electronics MAY devalue an Alembic instruments value (generally speaking) in my limited experience. This was my initial thought behind my comment. 

BTW I did purchase 3 sets of John East ACG preamps about 8 years ago, well before I educated myself on Alembic. They worked well but they weren't for me either and for the same reasons you stated plus a few others. I did like them at that time and used them for several years, mucho respect for them. I think there is a newer version now than the 1st generation version I had which is now discontinued. I had them installed in 3 basses expecting to get close to the sounds I wanted that Alembic can produce.  I found myself trying to chase down those tones I had in my head without having to shell out for a custom Series instrument. The ride was fun but I could have got there sooner by doing it right the first time going right to the source.  My only regret is not investing in Series electronics on a custom build sooner.

Since I found and come to adore Alembic and after going through my 'quest for tone' journey I can't imagine why anyone would swap those electronics out or at least not update them. People like different things and budgets prevail is what it comes down to.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 04:44:32 AM by moongerm »

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Re: Alembic #001 Rick Turner rennovation
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 12:16:53 AM »
moongerm, I had the same thing chasing those tones, I'm glad you put that process into words hahaha.  Mine were the EQ02 version which has been replaced for I'm told to address the things that we have noticed. The range of the filter has also been closed  up so no longer down to I think 80hz. This would make it much easier to use.
Now I have no desire to use anything but alembic live.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!